i think i am buring oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i have 97 mustang gt and it has 150000 we just bought it and i think burning oil because we it idles for about 5 min and then you give it gas it smokes. What can i do about this? Thanks
Robbie

well we just bought it a week ago i change the intake manifold because 4.6 intake manifold it is common for them to leak and mine was leaking and when i got done with it i change the oil with castrol 10-30 hm and when it siting for like 5 min and then you give it a little gas it smokes. are the valve stem seals hard to replace arent they in the head

Originally Posted By: Olive1465
hey i have 97 mustang gt and it has 150000 we just bought it and i think burning oil because we it idles for about 5 min and then you give it gas it smokes. What can i do about this? Thanks
Robbie

Sell it and buy a Toyota. I wouldn't complain about burning oil if thats the case...150K is a lot of miles especially if its a ford.

heh, my Toyota MR2 5SFE engine did the same as did everyone elses. Run a few oil changes of MaxLife, it cleared it up for me. Its nothing to worry about really, just a puff of smoke at startup if the car has been sitting overnight.

i had a problem with this in my 1995, noticed it burned a lot less when i switched to Castrol Syntec Partial Synthetic, is in the gray bottle. didn't a chance to experience it much though as the car got smashed very soon after.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: Olive1465
Robbie

Sell it and buy a Toyota. I wouldn't complain about burning oil if thats the case...150K is a lot of miles especially if its a ford.

If he wanted a Toyota, he would have bought one.
34.gif

That stinks. I would say try the AutoRX and if that does nto work try some of the other crazy products out there. Best to try to fidn a way around having to pay for a large ticket repair....

Good luck

I do say screw toyota, these ford 4.6l will out last toyota, many many crow vic my friend own do hit over 200k +, my mustang hit 190+ right now. With those weak [censored] import, you will need spend alot money for that timming belt to change. Im asian and been own 4 import car, but after switch to american car, I do never go back.

Olive. Is the oil fresh in there? Old oil or too thin oil can burn like that. Sure, the engine is probably a bit worn and maybe sludged up somewhat, but try an oil change and Motorcraft filter and see how she runs.
You may need a slightly thicker oil than the factory recommends.

Go with Pennzoils 10w/30 with lucas oils, I have 98 gt with 135k miles, burn oils and I beleive its valve seal steam, after use those oils its work the best for me.

it is a fresh oil change with 10w-30 hm castrol and you can just smell oil burning i do not see smoke or anything smell it

That is usually a valve cover [gasket] that is weeping onto the exhaust.
A close visual check in good light will confirm this. Make sure your PCV system is in perfect shape - it keep the crankcase purged and under vacuum to attenuate leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back