i say the best filter is a...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! For the average guy who does his own oil changes, IMHO- using a Napa filter and Maxlife is the way to go. Like TallPaul says... if we were running Amsoil or Redline and higher OCI's... then that would be a consideration.

SouthernJeeper, You are definitely on the right path! Great choices! Your car will rust away before your engine dies if you keep doing that! I don't dispute the quality of the Amsoil filter, but it would be extreme overkill for us average guys. Now if you are running Amsoil or Redline for an extended OCI, the Amsoil filter would be great.
cheers.gif

Quote:

i feel ,finally, the best filters are:
amzoil
donaldson
motorcraft
ford racing
fleetguard (standard and oversized)
k&n

I can't believe you didn't include Wix. Wix is at least as good as Motorcraft and probably better IMO. Hey, I really like Fleetguard and would use them, but they don't have the Ford-spec threaded end bypass valve.

hi paul, iam not impressed with wix/napa because they just don't work well in my engines for some reason or another they are more noisier and the initial restriction is more then i like for instance the donaldson/amzoil has a intial restriction on 0.5 psid....this is not the only reason...this is just what i have pondered for along time and i finally have decided on the above

Well you are way beyond me. I don't even know what initial restriction is. Assume either first use of new filter (if so, would prefill help), or is every start up.

Considering I had some brutal cold starts this winter (8-12 seconds for mech OP gauge to lift needle off zero), maybe there is something to this. What I liked about Fleetguard was the apparent high quality and the very unrestrictive flow. The one I used (LF697) is 16 gpm. I'll have to see if I can look up "initial restriction." If that is cold start, then certainly that is a very important factor. Thanks.

PS, for FL1A version, Fleetguard offers a synthetic media version which is suppposed to be excellent (maybe rivals the Amsoil filter?).

initial restriction is a new filterso it will be low for a while and flows well.i have initial values on many brands that maufacturers gave me....one wants a filter that has an intial restriction of <2.0 psid @ 4gpm (per nascar site tech info.)i use that as a guide..so far donaldson has the very lowest flows are excellent, k&n is excellent too.

I'd agree with WIX/NapaGold "IF" it had that nice glass media used in the XE suffix versions...

Look at the 51792XE....3um B=2, 10um B=20, nominal rating 5um. Or how about a 51734XE... 10um B=4, 30um B=75, nominal rating 10um.

But in my MC FL-820S application: WIX 51372 (paper media)....12um B=2, 25um B=20, nominal 19um. So I stick with the MC...

Oh yea, keep the WIX/Gold price about $6-8 (with glass media).

Speaking of Fleetguard...they make a LF16002 (FL-820 style, Stratapore media) that looks like this kind of performance. I see it for $10 online but sourcing is limited.

Quote:

Well you are way beyond me. I don't even know what initial restriction is. Assume either first use of new filter (if so, would prefill help), or is every start up.

Considering I had some brutal cold starts this winter (8-12 seconds for mech OP gauge to lift needle off zero), maybe there is something to this. What I liked about Fleetguard was the apparent high quality and the very unrestrictive flow. The one I used (LF697) is 16 gpm. I'll have to see if I can look up "initial restriction." If that is cold start, then certainly that is a very important factor. Thanks.

PS, for FL1A version, Fleetguard offers a synthetic media version which is suppposed to be excellent (maybe rivals the Amsoil filter?).

Where? I went to the Fleetguard website ( amateur at best) and they have no filter look up or cross reference "page not found"....do you have a Fleetguard part number for the FL1A Fleetguard equivalent? Thanks man......

SargeGTO: I believe the FL1A is a Wix 51515. I scanned the columns on my Wix cross ref catalog and see the Fleetguard LF3313 and LF3313J both cross refs to Wix 51515. There may be others and this does not mean teh LF3313 crosses to the FL1A. You need to visit the Motorcraft site and enter the Fleetguard numbers and see what comes up. Then go to the Wix site and make sure the dimensions (gasket, thread, etc) are right. Ultimately, just call Fleetguard and while on the phone, get the specs for it.

Okay, here is another Fleetguard that cross refs to Wix 51515: LF551 and LF551A. I don't see any others, but may have missed them.

SargeGTO: I got curious and found only the LF3313 works for Motorcraft. Both LF3313s go to Wix 51515. But LF515 on Wix site goes to a totally wrong filter, so looks like LF3313 is it. BTW, if the LF697 fits, use it. Wix listing for the 51515 refers to the bigger one as the "two quart version" of the 51515. I will note that it really is one quart and the 51515 is about 26 oz.

I actually think the Bosch Premium is a very good filter, the one I recently bought for my DC van looked very similar to a Pure One? Schucks/kragen/checkers sometimes has very good sales on them.

Quote:

0.5 psid @ 3gpm

Is that your measurement? Or is that Amsoil's claims? using what filter surface area? oil weight and temp?

Napagold is an excellent filter. It, like several other boutique filters, might be a little restrictive in certain applications. If upsizing is available, that might improve the flow and reduce pressure drop. I'm using 2 Pureone's in +2 oversized that don't create the tick or clatter that I get from stock sized Pureones(excellent filter but might be a little too restrictive in some applications).

I'd love to see oilfilterstudy.com run an EA0 filter, along with several newer brands/types. Maybe we should start a collection?

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com

Here's the fleetguard catalog. You'll have to be creative with x-referencing to find the PN's for your vehicle.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/lube_filters.pdf
click here for x-referece:
http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/catalog/index.jsp

Quote:

I can't beleive K&N are even in the top ten!!

What I've read here at BITOG.....

It's a unigue filter. It's very good at trapping micron particles - plus it's flow rate is also very good. Grouping it with the more commonly found filters at your nearby stores, I have the opinion that only Amsoil and Mobil-1 are overall better.

Would I pay $8-$16 for a filter?... no way! Basic filtering - in conjunction with tImely oil changes is all your engine needs to reach 300+K.

Quote:

Quote:

0.5 psid @ 3gpm

Is that your measurement? Or is that Amsoil's claims? using what filter surface area? oil weight and temp?

Napagold is an excellent filter. It, like several other boutique filters, might be a little restrictive in certain applications. If upsizing is available, that might improve the flow and reduce pressure drop. I'm using 2 Pureone's in +2 oversized that don't create the tick or clatter that I get from stock sized Pureones(excellent filter but might be a little too restrictive in some applications).

I'd love to see oilfilterstudy.com run an EA0 filter, along with several newer brands/types. Maybe we should start a collection?

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com

Here's the fleetguard catalog. You'll have to be creative with x-referencing to find the PN's for your vehicle.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/lube_filters.pdf
click here for x-referece:
http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/catalog/index.jsp

Oh Golly I've been mildly un-dummied, ms molly.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Exactly! For the average guy who does his own oil changes, IMHO- using a Napa filter and Maxlife is the way to go. Like TallPaul says... if we were running Amsoil or Redline and higher OCI's... then that would be a consideration.

SouthernJeeper, You are definitely on the right path! Great choices! Your car will rust away before your engine dies if you keep doing that! I don't dispute the quality of the Amsoil filter, but it would be extreme overkill for us average guys. Now if you are running Amsoil or Redline for an extended OCI, the Amsoil filter would be great.
cheers.gif

So Far i Would Say Reusable Cleanable Filter ! We are in The Developement Stages Now , This Filter Will Be 100 Time Better Then Tru Filter. Larger Canister ,The best Flow Rate Out There. 10-12 micron ! Will Last For the life of your truck. MORE TO COME ! We are testing filtering now , Looks Like no Paper Filter will come close. Use This With a By Pass Filter system and I Think You Will Have The Best Filtering System Out There. Bar None ! Working With OILGAURD BY PASS FILTERS , What a Combo ! Have Both On My 2006 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab , My Oil Is Clean, 18 k On It Now & Looks Like The Day i Put It In .

Best Regards,
Col.
usa2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back