I´m doing it - 3 long OCIs on one filter!!!

You didn't say how many miles you drive per year so my concern would be the aging of the filter & hardening of filter gasket.
Lots of people have left an oil filter on for 2 or 3 years, and haven't had any issues with the gasket leaking or the internals of the filter degrading after cutting it open for inspection. As mentioned, if leaving the filter on for multiple OCIs, don't remove and reinstall the filter - ie, don't disturb the base gasket.

I am doing THREE long 8k oil changes on a 1.6L Nissan 4 cylinder. Using QS 5-w30 synthetic. 3.25 sump capacity.
I´m using a FRAM Endurance FE6607. The next filter change will be close to 25k!
I´ll use a mighty vac pump to change out the oil.

"Oil filters: the final frontier. BITOG's continuing mission: to explore strange medias; to seek out new tests and new comparisons; to boldly go where no one has gone before!"

Hi Vern_in_IL,
Looking forward to your test results!

My friend just bought a new GL1800 Goldwing. The OE filter change is every other oil change (oil is set at 8k miles; so 16k miles for the filter interval). And these bikes are known for their longevity.

Even OEs are understanding the ability and reasoning for stretching out oil and filter changes well past the ol' skool thinking. And they don't have to pay for the oil/filter changes; it costs them nothing to tell you to change oil/filters. So if it were even the slightest risk to their warranty exposure, they'd not do it. And yet now 10k miles is very common in cars/trucks, and the 2x filter concept is not unheard of either.

On a walk this morning I started listening to Blackstone lab's podcast. They cover this scenario and mentioned to expect higher insolubles but certainly have folks send in their results for trending extending their filter usage. OP, do you plan on doing UOAs to monitor what happens?

I would personally still remove the filter, let it drain, and reinstall.

I use to loosen the filter a bit and let the oil drain out when reusing a filter. But your gasket has lost it's initial compressibility and will need to be overtightened to seal.

Took the timing cover off my Gen Coupe 2L a couple years ago. But not the oil pan. The front of the pan was exposed. It retained oil and I had to wipe it out even with the front end jacked up.

On a walk this morning I started listening to Blackstone lab's podcast. They cover this scenario and mentioned to expect higher insolubles but certainly have folks send in their results for trending extending their filter usage. OP, do you plan on doing UOAs to monitor what happens?

I would personally still remove the filter, let it drain, and reinstall.

I currently have 50K miles on a wire backed Fram Ultra 7317 filter.

I don’t drain and reinstall this Ultra oil filter cause I don’t want to disturb gasket integrity.

Every 20K miles will run cheap Dino oil for 30 seconds to get all the ‘dirty’ oil out of the filter. Then re-drain oil and refill with 4.8 quarts of new oil.

This will be for the BITOG record books at 80K when I finally take off. Maybe try for 100K miles ?
I wonder if Fram engineering team be interested in getting their hands on it for lab analysis….. or I pay for filter analysis ?

:unsure:

Last edited:
I currently have 50K miles on a wire backed Fram Ultra 7317 filter.

I don’t drain and reinstall this Ultra oil filter cause I don’t want to disturb gasket integrity.

Every 20K miles will run cheap Dino oil for 30 seconds to get all the ‘dirty’ oil out of the filter. Then re-drain oil and refill with 4.8 quarts of new oil.

This will be for the BITOG record books at 80K when I finally take off. Maybe try for 100K miles ?
I wonder if Fram engineering team be interested in getting their hands on it for lab analysis….. or I pay for filter analysis ?

:unsure:

The average drain / refill has been 7K miles (+ / - a few hundred miles) with various clearance Synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Back