I love this time change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: mcrn
I do so much better with this time. I have an easier time going to sleep and wake up feeling better. I also enjoy the cooler weather. I live in Florida so now this will essentially cut my electric bill by 50 to 100 dollars also!

It looks like everything hates it except you Bra!

lol....well several people said they like the more light in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I do so much better with this time. I have an easier time going to sleep and wake up feeling better. I also enjoy the cooler weather. I live in Florida so now this will essentially cut my electric bill by 50 to 100 dollars also!

+1000 on the cooler weather. I have a hard time getting anything done outside in the summer months here. It gets so humid I can hardly breathe and 5 minutes into any outdoor project I am covered with sweat and can't see for the sweat burning in my eyes and covering my eyeglasses. Working in the garage is better, it is shaded and I can use a fan so it is somewhat cooler but I still keep a sweat towel handy.

I love Florida but really hate the blistering heat and high humidity in the dog days of summer here. The lower power bills in the winter are great, they are usually about half the amount of a bill from July through September. We are enjoying this little cold snap and blue sky today. For us the time change is a fair trade-off for cooler weather.

Im close to you. Im in Orlando and I agree.....the summer is brutal.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It would be fine if I didn't have to go to work, but if you work it makes it difficult to do anything outside after work days.

^This.

It's hard enough getting the lawn mowed after work once we get into mid-September; now it's impossible. Fortunately, I shouldn't have to mow much going forward.

I live in Florida so now this will essentially cut my electric bill by 50 to 100 dollars also!

I've heard people say this, but how does changing the time save you money on electric?

Originally Posted By: whip
I live in Florida so now this will essentially cut my electric bill by 50 to 100 dollars also!

I've heard people say this, but how does changing the time save you money on electric?

DST was done in the first place so mid summer's 4-7am light wouldn't be wasted (as much). It started as a wartime thing to save resources. By shifting the hour of light into the evening people wouldn't burn as much electricity before bed.

That was when the electric bill mostly went for light, I'm curious about the AC thing but maybe he doesn't use it all 24 hours of the day and this fits his schedule better.

Originally Posted By: JDW
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I don't like that it gets dark at 6 PM.

X2 And throws my dog's feeding schedule off.

Poor guy has to fertilize the lawn after sunset too!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: whip

DST was done in the first place so mid summer's 4-7am light wouldn't be wasted (as much). It started as a wartime thing to save resources. By shifting the hour of light into the evening people wouldn't burn as much electricity before bed.

That was when the electric bill mostly went for light, I'm curious about the AC thing but maybe he doesn't use it all 24 hours of the day and this fits his schedule better.

Its the heat. During the summer when im home during the day I set it for 78 and 74 at night. Then 80 during the days when im not home. So when the sun goes down earlier my AC is not running near as hard. Plus just the general change in weather helps too. But here during the summer you can walk out of your house at midnight and its still hot and all the concrete is still radiating lots of heat.

Last edited:
Living here either by the ocean where the the trade winds flow is very cool since water reflects heat.

Interior areas with less wind and no water to reflect heat can be less comfortable.

Having trees in a community can block heat too with cool shade. Less heat on tar roads and sidewalks.

Another cool area is living close to a flowing stream. Living in a large city with no trees and winds being blocked can produce lingering heat.

Another area is in Maui living close to the mountain..no afternoon sun as the it's being blocked. Another cool area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Trav
I hate it, it gets dark too early.

Ditto

Yes, it is the bain of any serious racing cyclist who must train after a normal work day.
frown.gif

But then again they should be cutting down on their mileage and workout intensities this time of year anyway, unless they are training for cyclocross, or the World Track Championships.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Ditto

Yes, it is the bain of any serious racing cyclist who must train after a normal work day.
frown.gif

But then again they should be cutting down on their mileage and workout intensities this time of year anyway, unless they are training for cyclocross, or the World Track Championships.
wink.gif

Or just get some good lights
smile.gif

I like the weather, Ive been waiting for this time since march, don't really care about time change just tired of the heat.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Ditto

frown.gif

wink.gif

Or just get some good lights
smile.gif

And mittens, and face mask, and studded tires... At least one is less likely to encounter wildlife!

Wife got me a membership to the gym this year. I will feel odd driving the three miles to it--but it will take too long to walk, and my joints won't do a three mile run. And since it is downhill I will freeze while getting there.

At least when it snows I won't have to go the gym.

Right. AZ does not change which I like, but still comes with a problem. I can never remember which time zone we change to. We were Pacific and are now Mountain.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Right. AZ does not change which I like, but still comes with a problem. I can never remember which time zone we change to. We were Pacific and are now Mountain.
Yup, no changing the clocks for me either.

It's finally comfortable to work outside during the day and all the sudden there's no daylight after work

Should just stop the clock changing and leave it where it is during the summer months. I can do things outside in the evenings or go for a motorcycle ride. Now, it's dark at 5:30pm and the day is over. That and as soon as it starts to get dark, the deer come out and are everywhere.
Go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Depressing time of year. The day is gone before you get to do anything unless you enjoy sitting inside with the lights on. My kids and wife hate it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back