I have an NPW and an Aisin water pump. Which one should I install?

Also, if you must use the paper gasket, unless it’s a Fel-Pro with a printed sealing bead, Permatex high-tack or Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both sides of the gasket will be your friend. If it’s a Fel-Pro, only apply dope on the “naked” side towards the pump.

The reason for this is the paper gasket will eventually stick, Permatex’s high-tack/Aviation claims to keep a “soft-set” and not “dry” so it’ll make life easier for repairs.
it is my opinion/understanding not to use any additional sealers on a gasket bc its weaker than a gasket, forming a weaker seal/leak, and it lets the gasket "wiggle" or squeeze out from beneath the gasket, also resulting in leak. Just a drop on the gasket to hold it in place, if necessary. But, if the mating surfaces are in poor condition, then a sealer on the gasket may help by filling in the irregularities and a better seal.

Last edited:
it is my opinion/understanding not to use any additional sealers on a gasket bc its weaker than a gasket, forming a weaker seal/leak, and it lets the gasket "wiggle" or squeeze out from beneath the gasket, also resulting in leak. Just a drop on the gasket to hold it in place, if necessary. But, if the mating surfaces are in poor condition, then a sealer on the gasket may help by filling in the irregularities and a better seal.
If the gasket is made of metal or cork, then that’s true, especially cork gaskets that need to swell a bit to seal.

But for paper, then you want sealer on at least one sealing side. I’ve put sealer on a Fel-Pro paper diff gasket on both sides, one to seal and to hopefully make removal a bit easier, no issues yet.

If the gasket is made of metal or cork, then that’s true, especially cork gaskets that need to swell a bit to seal.

But for paper, then you want sealer on at least one sealing side. I’ve put sealer on a Fel-Pro paper diff gasket on both sides, one to seal and to hopefully make removal a bit easier, no issues yet.
Thank you-
I dont mean to be argumentative and just being curious, but a FEL-Pro tech support guy just told me they do not recommend use of any sealant on ANY gasket except head gaskets (copper ). If it works for you to use some, then go for it.

Thank you-
I dont mean to be argumentative and just being curious, but a FEL-Pro tech support guy just told me they do not recommend use of any sealant on ANY gasket except head gaskets (copper ). If it works for you to use some, then go for it.
Just to be clear, I am installing the Aisin pump which requires a FIP gasket/sealant. If I went with the NPW pump, I probably wouldn't use any goo as the gasket it came with is pretty dense/substantial. I figure the original pump lasted *at least 180k miles (replaced with a lesser pump during rebuild, ugh) so I'll go with what I know works-even though NPW makes good stuff too.

Thank you-
No worries.

A very common DIY mistake is to put RTV or chemical sealers(like copper spray) on a more specialized(IMG/HG or rubber oil pan/diff) gasket or a cork gasket, Fel-Pro did release this:

RTV for end seals, where a gasket doesn’t fill a gap as prescribed by the OE(like on a half-moon seal for a valve cover, or T-joints between a block/head/timing cover) is fine. There was a time when a mechanic knew someone was messing around when they saw copper RTV.

Back