I firmly believe in TPMS now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You had AAA put on your donut for you? It takes longer to make the phone call than it does to DIY.

+1 for the above comment. Who here needs to call AAA to put on a doughnut spare?

I repeat: Good clothes, jungle-hot conditions. I've changed full-sized and donut spares on my cars in the past. There's no challenge to it anymore.

If I'd forgotten my phone, then I'd have had to grit my teeth and do it.

I grew up in Louisiana. I wouldn't want anyone to see me having a spare changed for me.

Its a macho culture down there.

I grew up here too (Gawd help me), but the city is a different thing from the country. If I'd done it myself I'd have looked like I just ran two miles in good clothes, and they'd have been filthy as well. Though I do have some work gloves in the trunk, so at least my hands would have been clean. Sweaty -- but not covered in dirt.

I like the system, when its implemented well. My Ram is not implemented well, it just gives a warning without telling you a pressure or which tire has the problem, my Challenger and wife's WK2 tell you all 4 pressures and a low-pressure warning will identify the problem tire.

What bugs me is that its now considered a 'required safety system' so that a car won't pass safety inspection with a TPMS system warning displayed, even if the tires are fine. Its a "nice to have," but definitely not a "need to have" system.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I like the system, when its implemented well. My Ram is not implemented well, it just gives a warning without telling you a pressure or which tire has the problem,

Sounds like it uses the indirect system that's based on ABS sensor and not on physical pressure sensors in each wheel. On the positive side, you can swap wheels and not have to worry about buying new TPMS hardware.

Quote:
What bugs me is that its now considered a 'required safety system' so that a car won't pass safety inspection with a TPMS system warning displayed, even if the tires are fine.

So, why would the TPMS warning be displayed when the tires are fine? Faulty sensors?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It would be great if it worked consistently, the systems on cars I've driven seem to eat sensors & give false alarms.

It is amazing that the systems vary so much. My sig car came with TPMS. Displays each tire individually, and never needs to be told when you rotate. Plus we have never even changed a battery in the setup since August of 05! Amazingly reliable.

Our GM fleet trucks are a bit more tricky as they require a quick recalibration when a tire is moved. But that takes less than 5 minutes even by yourself and is simple to do...

I like the indirect TPMS better since they don't require swapping out the expensive sensors every time you replace the tires, or even before that!

The 2013+ Accord and a couple other new cars have indirect TPMS that comply with the new law. However, the law will probably be repealed soon, once the 2008+ cars get older and are in the hands of poorer people that don't want to spend $150 on a set of tires AND sensors.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
We're just busting your chops.

grin.gif
wink.gif

45 years of driving, a couple dozen different cars, and I can't recall a single flat that left me stranded anywhere. For that matter I can't recall a single flat tire, and never a blowout. I've yet to have a car with TPMS.

Quote:
What bugs me is that its now considered a 'required safety system' so that a car won't pass safety inspection with a TPMS system warning displayed, even if the tires are fine.

So, why would the TPMS warning be displayed when the tires are fine? Faulty sensors?

[/quote]

Or dead sensor batteries. Its probably not a common thing to happen, but it can. And its a failed inspection until you get it fixed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Quote:

Or dead sensor batteries. Its probably not a common thing to happen, but it can. And its a failed inspection until you get it fixed.

I was told that if it's not something obvious with the tire, then the sensor is just replaced. No investigation as to whether it's a software issue, or connection problem, etc. It's maddening because it's not something I could take to another shop (it was under warranty), and I obviously can't fix it myself. Without warranty, I was told they're $300 a pop. Quite the racket.

Discount Tire charges $60 per wheel for a new sensor, programming, taxes and misc fees out the door for an 09 Civic. While the dealer charges $70 for installing the new sensor and another $70 per wheel for programming.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Finally own a car with TPMS. Lucked out that it is ABS based and will cost nothing extra during tire purchases
laugh.gif

Would be great if someone had at least a semi-complete list of which cars used each system, I would certainly take it into account when purchasing a used vehicle in the future now that I'm unlikely to avoid TPMS cars altogether.

Originally Posted By: Darris
Finally own a car with TPMS. Lucked out that it is ABS based and will cost nothing extra during tire purchases
laugh.gif

Would be great if someone had at least a semi-complete list of which cars used each system, I would certainly take it into account when purchasing a used vehicle in the future now that I'm unlikely to avoid TPMS cars altogether.

Generally, if it has a rubber valve stem, it is ABS.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Last night I'm driving out to the suburbs on the Interstate. Suddenly the DIC displays "Low Air Pressure," with a diagram of the car and with the RF tire highlighted. And it showed the pressure, at 23 lbs. As I head toward the nearest exit, I see the pressure steadily dropping: 22, 21, 20 . . .

This is exactly the value of TPMS. I'm not going to get into the debate of whether it should or shouldn't be required by law on new vehicles, but I've been happy to have TPMS on our vehicles in a number of situations. The fact of the matter is, you can check your tire pressure cold in your garage as often as you like, but you simply can't check tire pressure out on the road while you're driving, which is when you'll pick up a road hazard.

Fortunately for us, TPMS sensors seem to be reliable. Neither of our vehicles has required a replacement sensor due to a defect or battery die-out. The MDX has one new sensor due to damage during a tire install. BJs ate the cost of that one.

laugh.gif

Yes I have the same with a Honda. The guy at DT called it 'indirect' with a recent flat tire. Whatever it's called glad there's nothing inside the wheel that can break or has to be regularly serviced.

With my recent TPMS flat tire experience in said vehicle, it happened relatively quickly with the nail/object puncturing the tire, then not long after being ejected. Light when on with the ejection, by that time I was sure I was dealing with a flat tire.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Generally, if it has a rubber valve stem, it is ABS.

It gets even more confusing than that. My Cruze (and I'm assuming at least some other GM vehicles) use a system that incorporates a rubber stem into the sensor, so the stem can be replaced.

550-2405_6.jpg

s-l300.jpg

On an interstate on our way to NC, the TPMS showed up on the EVIC showing the LR was losing air pressure. Luckily an exit was just ahead. Pulled off and pumped it back up. Even more luckily, a Jeep dealership was just a few blocks away. Pulled in and after telling the service writer the problem, he showed us to their customer lounge and said have a seat, I'll get it taken care of. Ten minutes later, he said you're ready to go…. No Charge! They had put a plug in a hole in the tread area and filled the tire up. Wonderful FCA service.

That was about 5,000 miles ago and it's still holding the proper amount of air.

Quote:

Or dead sensor batteries. Its probably not a common thing to happen, but it can. And its a failed inspection until you get it fixed. [/quote]

Texas has inspections? For some reason I thought they didn't.

Here in NH TPMS operation is not required, but shops might try to fail you on it. I had my Toyota dealer indicate that they would fail the vehicle on inspection for the light being on--but they are wrong.

[Just looked, and didn't realize an ABS light on will trigger a fail too. Check engine and brake light will; but not TPMS or airbag.]

Had the TPMS on the Cruze alert me to a nail in the tire a few years ago. Got it plugged quickly and made it to work only a little late. My commute is all interstate with limited space to pull over. Glad it alerted me when I was at home instead of having a blowout at highway speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back