Hyundai Manual gives choice of 5W-30/5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Tucson 2.0L I4 86.000KM, has been running 5W-30 all its life with OEM Filter, right now its got 9000KM and i am planning to go 12000KM on this interval with Pennzoil Ultra.

Amazing oil, still looks light and not dark. car is quieter than when running Castrol Syntec. Feels like it has more power (even the wife agrees).

Problem: cannot find Pennzoil Ultra at any walmart, canadian tire, part source, ect. walmart manager told me its discontinued for them.

Found 4 jugs of 5W-20 on sale for $26 (Reg $36) and bought one.
5W-20 is thinner, gets about 1% better MPG but allows for more wear, but it is recommended in the Manual (5W-30 is an alternate as well as 10W-30 is an alternate for warmer temps). Winter is coming and it gets down to about -30C without windchill here where I live.

Can i run the 5W-20 up to 12000KM like i am the 5W30?

Last edited:
Many a Ford and Honda have gone 200k+ miles running 5w-20.

I'd run the 5w-20 in the winter, and 5w-30 in summer. If you do a lot of short trips, that 5w-20 will offer better protection than a 30-weight since it'll offer (generally) better cold flow properties.

Get a UOA on the current fill when you dump it. Run the 5W-20 for the same interval and then get a UOA on it and compare the two. You're not going to see greater wear.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Many a Ford and Honda have gone 200k+ miles running 5w-20.

I'd run the 5w-20 in the winter, and 5w-30 in summer. If you do a lot of short trips, that 5w-20 will offer better protection than a 30-weight since it'll offer (generally) better cold flow properties.

I was thinking the same thing, because summers here tend to get pretty hot, and winters get really cold

If i get the remaining 3 5L jugs that they have at the store (cause i love this oil) it would last me at least 3 more years in this car (and i am planning to keep it that long). would it not go bad from sitting this long in the garage ?

Unopened oil containers are good for many many years, I have a couple quarts M1 15W50 I bought in 2003 and plan to use it next year, I have many quarts Valvoline Synpower I bought 4-5 years ago. You should grab the remaining PU jugs at the store.

^i think i might do that tomorrow, cant let that slip, i might just use it year round since the manual does call for it actually.. i was always old school thinking and kept using 5W-30 as in all the cars i ever had in the family.

so what about the OCI? can i keep it in there up to 12.000KM or 7500Mi ?

I would run the 5w20 unless your car is getting heavy-duty use (packed full of people, towing, etc). Honda has been pushing 5w20 for years with no ill effects. Same with Ford.

If it makes you nervous, just run the 5w30. Peace of mind is worth more than 1% more fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: andrei3333

The engine parts have a chance to wear down easier with a thinner oil

And that's ok with you?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

And that's ok with you?
confused2.gif

Well i was actually trying to confirm with people on here, I never said it's ok with me.

No, i usually drive alone to work and back and very rarely have someone with me, let alone a full car. I dont tow.

it must be OK if the manual lists it...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Allows for more wear???

I don't believe that for one second, unless you spend most of your vacation days towing a boat to AZ in the middle of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back