Hundreds march at McDonald's HQ over low wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL!
crackmeup2.gif

Many will be making $0/hr when they are replaced by a touchscreen to take the orders. The cooks, maybe a shift manager and an assistant or two to hand people their food and clean will be what's left. Just look at the self checkouts in stores now, that's where it's heading for fast food and restaurants.

Last edited:
Too often (around d here, anyway) an increase in minimum wage means a lay off or reduced hours for staff.

I wonder if McDonald's have considered a machine that can flip Burgers?

As an aside.
I knew a guy that started flipping burgers at McDonald's, they sent him for training at their Hamburger University. He went on to manage a branch, then moved on to a higher end restaurant, and now, in his late 30's owns 3 restaurants of his own.

It need not be a dead end job.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I start unskilled labour at 15 an hour. If they aren't very sharp they don't advance. If they catch on and I see they are worth me putting in an effort to train them I will.
But even 15 an hour isn't a living wage.
Anyway fast food jobs are supposed to be stepping stones as one settles on a career. Management makes out alright however from wha I've seen there's a high rate of burnout because of the constant push.
As far as I'm concerned those employees who walked out quit. Obviously they aren't happy and employees who aren't happy get nothing done,counter productive and not worth having around. In fact it's better to be shorthanded than have unhappy employees. They are poison to the whole crew and depending o the person may spit on the food etc.

America has learned that capitalism is great for the wealthy. Companies are only concerned about profit so if they can get their product made for less offshore then rest assured they will.
Big business is turning America into a third world nation. American businesses Have chosen to turn their backs on the skilled American worker in favour of a cheaper lesser product.
America was once a powerhouse of industry. A world leader manufacturing high quality goods and living well.
Today Americans care not about anything either. If they can save a penny buying China made stuff over American made products they will,which again puts neighbours out of work.
Capitalism sounds great but as you can see there are flaws.

Can't say more than that...I agree! At some point the country needs to become more important than big business. Look how [censored] businesses where in the late 19th/early 20th century-workers were pretty much slaves until the government stepped in to level the playing field. Industry was only concerned about profit then too...

We're heading back toward those times again...but on a global scale. It's time we put what our men overseas are fighting for-putting the US first...

Then again, those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it....

I am not sure what the men are fighting for in the middle east. What is happening is the start of the new world order our politicians have been working to implement.

I wonder how many of those workers have an iphone 5 or 6 at $80/mo and .................?

I read somewhere that McD has a test lab with robotics flipping burgers and other tasks. Just a matter of time before they are implemented.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
At some point the country needs to become more important than big business.

Too late to cry over spilled beans. The US of A is a de facto corporation.

If raising the minimum wage a bit is good, why not just make it $25 or $30 an hour with full medical, vision and dental coverage and a month's paid vacation with say six weeks paid sick leave and three months maternity leave?

If illegals heard they could get three months leave every nine months they might consider getting a job.

Originally Posted By: expat
Too often (around d here, anyway) an increase in minimum wage means a lay off or reduced hours for staff.

That's what it means everywhere.

The people demanding $15 an hour for a job that just about anyone that can fog a mirror is capable of handling, apparently lack the common sense to realize they'll price their unskilled selves right out of a job.

I've posted this pic before. These machines already do exist in some locations.

15-an-hour-say-hello-to-your-replacement.jpg

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If raising the minimum wage a bit is good, why not just make it $25 or $30 an hour with full medical, vision and dental coverage and a month's paid vacation with say six weeks paid sick leave and three months maternity leave?

If illegals heard they could get three months leave every nine months they might consider getting a job.

If keeping it down is so good for the community as a whole, why not take BRZED's post (which I agree with) to the next level, and introduce indentured servitude to keep prices low ?

I think part of the fast food argument should include tips as income. While in the States, KFC was a bill, the pressure fried chicken not far from Albuquerque was similar price, and a tip was in order.

When I lived in Detroit I kept company with various waitstaff.
Anyway I came to find out at the time wait staff made 2 bucks an hour. It went up to 2.50 a short time later but still I was in complete shock. These people really do depend on the tips they get because once you factor in deductions on 2.50 you'd be lucky to take home 100 a week.
I coukdnt bring myself to telling her I was imported,sponsored,accommodations paid and was getting 45 an hour with the parent company laying my income taxes.
But a restaurant isn't mcdonalds. McDonald's is assembly line food prep. It's a genius method and I have absorbed some of those lessons and my sites operate like an assembly line.
And they get paid more than real waitstaff.

And I hate the cashiers with a tip jar like at subway or Quiznos sometimes lets their staff set out.
It's begging.

An increasing number of restaurants is putting away with tips and instead adding a gratuity charge to the check. I don't normally see customers give tips at fastfood restaurants at all. I think I saw an empty tip jar at a Quizno's once.

I agree with One eye Jack here.. If $15 is good enough then why not $25.??? I am sorry but entry level positions are NOT going to pay well. Period. In my hospital the CNAs make $9 an hr for dayshift. RN are at $22 an hr day shift. PT are $40 an hour. Physicians make 125 to 160,000 a year. The profit margin is really quite tight at 2% to 4% a year. That's after ALL the costs are paid out. If we raised the base pay to $15 an hour for ancillary staff like CNAs, secretarys, and environmental workers than our hospital would be bankrupt in no time. Unless we GREATLY increased fees for service. Which WOULD hurt MANY more people outside of the hospital.
Look, I would rather people make more money too. I have said many times that I feel that our CNAs should make more money.. Aka $11 an hr to start. But I am not in charge of that. Furthermore with government getting involved much more greatly now in our reimbursements it will have a vast effect upon ALL healthcare workers. I am not against certain part of the ACA. No easy answers to all of this. Truth is in my opinion we need ideas from across the spectrum to get this country on a better track. If this doesn't start happening soon I believe this nation is headed towards a far more serious decline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why don't these workers get an education or learn a skill that will allow them to make a better living ?

Maybe they have kids and working a 5a-2p shift available in foodservice lets them meet the bus in the afternoon, keeping said kids out of daycare, and having quality time with them.

Maybe they like people and working in an office isn't their thing.

Maybe they like the smell of hash browns.

Maybe they don't drive and McD's is down the block from their apartment.

Maybe they believe McD's will actually offer opportunities for advancement like they success stories they've read about, or even seen first hand.

Who am I to judge? It's honest work, more honest than an insurance adjuster denying a claim for specious reasons or a banker rigging rates-- both "decent paying" jobs many worship.

On the macro- vs- micro economic level, slowly bringing up the floor to a living wage helps that locality as they money stays there. When NJ paid more than PA there wasn't any difference in employment levels: http://davidcard.berkeley.edu/papers/njmin-aer.pdf

I see those jobs as stepping stones, that's what they've been for decades, with the exception of some employees who went up the corporate chain. Companies like McDonald's are survivors, force them to pay higher wages, they'll become more automated and start laying off people. If a person wants to earn more money get a better job, or a better education. Can't afford a better education, learn a trade. I'm sure there are many of us on the board that started working at the minimum wage. I did, and I stepped up the ladder and into my own business. I'm not the only person that's done that here, and the people working for minimum wage today can do it too if they apply themselves. Raise the minimum wage, drive prices higher and force some business to close, or to automate and reduce their work force.

Up in Montreal 30K a year is considered a low pay but you'd be amazed at how many companies find skilled people at that pay.

35 grand a year in Montreal gets a really good candidate.

On the plus side, those people who have actual post-secondary skills, trades, and diplomas will have a really easy time selling themselves to find a 35k a year job.

But the long-term inflation effects would be really bad. Montreal rents would skyrocket (yes, landlords have tricks to get around rent control).

Two burger flippers living together have a household income of 60k a year?

Insane.

Oh, and did I ever mention our insane taxes in Quebec? Gas prices?? 15+% sales tax???

A burger flipper in the States at 30K a year would do MUCH better than a well skilled worker making 40k a year up here. Sad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree with One eye Jack here.. If $15 is good enough then why not $25.??? I am sorry but entry level positions are NOT going to pay well. Period. In my hospital the CNAs make $9 an hr for dayshift. RN are at $22 an hr day shift. PT are $40 an hour. Physicians make 125 to 160,000 a year. The profit margin is really quite tight at 2% to 4% a year. That's after ALL the costs are paid out. If we raised the base pay to $15 an hour for ancillary staff like CNAs, secretarys, and environmental workers than our hospital would be bankrupt in no time. Unless we GREATLY increased fees for service. Which WOULD hurt MANY more people outside of the hospital.
Look, I would rather people make more money too. I have said many times that I feel that our CNAs should make more money.. Aka $11 an hr to start. But I am not in charge of that. Furthermore with government getting involved much more greatly now in our reimbursements it will have a vast effect upon ALL healthcare workers. I am not against certain part of the ACA. No easy answers to all of this. Truth is in my opinion we need ideas from across the spectrum to get this country on a better track. If this doesn't start happening soon I believe this nation is headed towards a far more serious decline.

My wife works in the same industry her and her wage is higher and the physcians are more towards 150k-250k. RN's make $25-$45/hr. The CNA's get paid the same and I believe that is the drive to raise minimum wage up. The nice thing though her hospital equalizes benefits in that higher salaries pay a considerably more then the the low wage folks.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why don't these workers get an education or learn a skill that will allow them to make a better living ?

Maybe they have kids and working a 5a-2p shift available in foodservice lets them meet the bus in the afternoon, keeping said kids out of daycare, and having quality time with them.

Maybe they like people and working in an office isn't their thing.

Maybe they like the smell of hash browns.

Maybe they don't drive and McD's is down the block from their apartment.

Maybe they believe McD's will actually offer opportunities for advancement like they success stories they've read about, or even seen first hand.

Who am I to judge? It's honest work, more honest than an insurance adjuster denying a claim for specious reasons or a banker rigging rates-- both "decent paying" jobs many worship.

On the macro- vs- micro economic level, slowly bringing up the floor to a living wage helps that locality as they money stays there. When NJ paid more than PA there wasn't any difference in employment levels: http://davidcard.berkeley.edu/papers/njmin-aer.pdf

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: expat

That's what it means everywhere.

The people demanding $15 an hour for a job that just about anyone that can fog a mirror is capable of handling, apparently lack the common sense to realize they'll price their unskilled selves right out of a job.

I've posted this pic before. These machines already do exist in some locations.

15-an-hour-say-hello-to-your-replacement.jpg

If you're on I-55 near Romeoville, IL, head south at the Route 53 exit and you can use one of these right now. The only reason I had to have a human help me is because the gift card I used for payment didn't have the full amount due on it and the system wasn't set up for me to use a seond card. When these go system-wide, the workers left may get that $15/hour but they're going to be doing the work of 3 other people that got let go. And then they'll be crying that they're working too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back