Hundreds march at McDonald's HQ over low wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: hatt
When did entry level no skill jobs ever pay enough to live on and raise a family? Never. Entry level jobs are just that. They're great for HS and college kids to get into the workforce and have a flexible job and a little money. Or a housewife working for a little extra money while the kids are in school. $2-300/wk goes a long way. People needing to provide have to move on and take responsibility.

Thank you! The groups you mention are exactly the ones these jobs were intended for.
Imagine the reaction just a few years ago if the student or housewife serving burgers and fries at a drive-in said he/she expected to support a family of four on what they made at that job.

There's only one thing these jobs were intended to do...make the company money....they care not about providing a living to the employee...

Originally Posted By: grampi

There's only one thing these jobs were intended to do...make the company money...
I didn't think of that. Definitely sounds shady when you point that out. Companies like that need shut down.

There's only one thing these jobs were intended to do...make the company money...

I didn't think of that. Definitely sounds shady when you point that out. Companies like that need shut down.

Lol. The nerve of those people.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

If you think about it though, its a good question to see what kind of employer you are too. If the boss thinks AC is too good for them, then probably its not going to be a great place to work.

We are obviously of different generations. When I was applying as a quarry driller's helper in 1965..I knew the work was hard, hot and dangerous. I was too skinny and small in theory but they gave me the job. I never questioned anything. As a result I worked there for 2 summers and through a contact got another equally demanding job filling compressed air bottles for a 3rd summer.

My point is that in my generation this is how we operated. I made more than enough in those 3 summers to pay for 5 years of college and a 3/4 carat diamond ring for my girlfriend.

Exactly how I feel. My first summer job was unloading boxcars at a tile factory. 50 lb bags of powdered tile mix! Stack pallets by hand for the lucky forklift guy to pu.

Low pay, sweaty work. Florida heat, we did it to make money.

BTW, all our trucks do have AC!

Well I did do hay for several summers in high school for $5/hr, we filled many a barn from floor to peak, and 50lbs was on the lighter side of most bales, then I cleaned out chicken barns by hand on weekends in the winter... I also tree planted for a summer putting in almost 100k trees in a short season, so I have an idea what work is.
But I still don't want to sit in a stinky oven of a van all day if I can help it!

Companies in the bizz to make money are shady and need shut down? The sad thing with forums is that sarcasm is hard to detect.

I know a local manufacturing company. Their products are so popular I see them all over. My job, Toyota in Kentucky, Disney World. etc. The CEO was a normal guy. Drove an old Town Car. He since passed away and the company was sold to a place in Europe. They aren't allowed to keep any profits. It all goes to them. Is that what you guys prefer?

Made in USA, but all profits go overseas.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
..... other than what the government says you can do.

And you think this is what's going to motivate you to do well for yourself?

Uh, yeah, of course it would. Who wants the government telling them what to do?

So getting a check from the government creates dependency, but the government ruling your life creates motivation?

Being someone's "female dog" sure does motivate one to do decent in life...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Bought my wife lunch at Panera Bread today.

Long line to have a cashier take our order. No line, and no wait, to order from a tablet.

Pretty certain that tablet isn't getting $15/hour to take my order, nor does it require training to operate a register, but it adds just as much value to the process as the cashier.

It swiftly, flawlessly took my order and processed my payment. It even offered to up sell and add sides, just like the cashier.

Fewer employees lowers the cost of running a business. Raise their cost, and you will hasten the introduction of the technology to replace them.

That technology is already here....

So what do we do when everyone's been replaced by a machine?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I think I would rather be served by a robot. Some of the people who work in fast food places today have extremely negative attitudes and act like they are too good to be working at the fast food place. And then when they take their breaks they can't wait to pull out their smartphones.

If the entire fast food place can be run by robots except maybe for the supervisor that would be okay by me. The robots would probably do a better job.

Not to mention that many, if not most fast workers today can barely speak English...most of the time, I can't even understand what these people are saying...you'd think English speaking would be a requirement...

A robot will do a much better job than most of these halfwits who can barley speak English never mind count change without the cash register telling them how much.

Screenshot-3_1.png

Who do you want to hire?

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Long line to have a cashier take our order. No line, and no wait, to order from a tablet.

Pretty certain that tablet isn't getting $15/hour to take my order, nor does it require training to operate a register, but it adds just as much value to the process as the cashier.

It swiftly, flawlessly took my order and processed my payment. It even offered to up sell and add sides, just like the cashier.

Fewer employees lowers the cost of running a business. Raise their cost, and you will hasten the introduction of the technology to replace them.

Not everything can be done by machine.

Want a career? I suggest something that requires skill and education.

Raising the minimum wage will simply lead to the unskilled being replaced because the machine, or a more effective employee, just became economically viable.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A robot will do a much better job than most of these halfwits who can barley speak English never mind count change without the cash register telling them how much.

Screenshot-3_1.png

Who do you want to hire?

In that case we should be glad that these people don't work other jobs. Avoiding fast food is easy, but other types of business are more difficult to avoid.

Self checkout/ automated kiosks are at grocery stores too. The only downside is that the person running the machines usually falls into the rightmost category.
crackmeup2.gif

Getting carded is a pain, but other than that I try to use them whenever possible with the small orders.

Last edited:

There's only one thing these jobs were intended to do...make the company money....they care not about providing a living to the employee...

As is the case for any job in the private sector. Businesses are in business for one reason...to make money. If they're not making money, they cease to exist. If the company isn't making money off your labor, they have no reason to employ you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Learn how to work on these machines...

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

As is the case for any job in the private sector. Businesses are in business for one reason...to make money. If they're not making money, they cease to exist. If the company isn't making money off your labor, they have no reason to employ you.

I think you missed my point...that post of mine was in response to another poster who said these low paying jobs are designed as entry level jobs to get people into the work force...the business owner cares nothing about the welfare of the employee (or they would pay them more)...they simply have something as part of their business that needs to be done and they pay someone as little as possible to do that job...that's all there is to it...low paying jobs are not DESIGNED by the employer with the employee in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back