Hummus anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gentlemen, and does anyone here like eating hummus with some tostitos or chips or whatever? I tried it about a year ago and knew what it was made out of and actually liked it. I like legumes and beans anyways, and wondered if anyone here likes it, hates it or you get the idea.

thanks in advance and enjoy your sunday!

Adam

I eat a lot of it. Like the garlic flavored. On a Ritz, topped with a green olive makes a good appetizer. Tremendous variation in brands though, so find a good one.

I like to be all Zohan and use it for everything from toothpaste to fire extinguisher
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
I like to be all Zohan and use it for everything from toothpaste to fire extinguisher
lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Really that stuff is good. You gotta make it yourself once, then you won't want it any other way.

When I make hummus I serve it with pita chips. If I am in a hurry I make it with canned garbanzo beans. I season it differently depending on who is coming over.

I'm sure there are better chickpeas out there but I like "Tribe, 40 spices" on a ritz or triscuit.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I like Sabra. The texture is just right. I've had some other brands that were dry and thick.

Right on! Especially the roasted pine nut variety.

I've never made it at home. Anyone got any good recipes?

Be careful with pine nuts. Some people have strange reactions to the Chinese variety. Ask me how I know. I'm sure you guys have the euro or US variety.

I tell you what I like; hummus made with edamame. It's a nice green color and pretty tasty.

Some of the hard pita chips are kinda nasty. I just like regular pita, warmed up a little with my pita. Garbanzo or edamame.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
I've never made it at home. Anyone got any good recipes?

black eye peas can also be used to make hummus.

from Cook's Illustrated

To develop a hummus recipe with a light, silky-smooth texture and a flavor profile that would balance chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil, we emulsified the chickpeas and oil in the food processor. For the best flavor in our hummus recipe, we chose our tahini carefully and used it generously.

Most hummus has a coarse, dense consistency. Our hummus is characterized by its light, silky smoothness.

Makes about 2 cups

We recommend Joyva or Krinos tahini and Pastene chickpeas (see related tastings). The hummus can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days. If you do not plan on serving it immediately, refrigerate the hummus and garnishes separately. When ready to serve, stir in approximately 1 tablespoon of warm water if the texture is too thick.
Ingredients

1/2cup dried chickpeas
2quarts water
1/8teaspoon baking soda
3tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
6tablespoons tahini , stirred well (see note)
2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
1small garlic clove , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2teaspoon table salt
1/4teaspoon ground cumin
pinch Cayenne
1tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley leaves

Instructions

1. Pick through and rinse chickpeas. Place beans in large bowl, cover with 1 quart water, and soak overnight. Drain. Bring beans, baking soda, and 1 quart water to boil in large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup bean cooking water, and cool.

2. Combine lemon juice and bean cooking water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.

3. Process chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.

4. Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

Here is my recipe, is not the Arabic version that is popular in the US.

- Mix some tahini, sesame seed paste, with real lemon juice until it has a consistency of peanut butter. The hummus is ready. If you don't like sour, then substitute filtered water for some of the lemon juice.

- To serve, place it on a plate, flatten it in a slight concave shape, drizzle some olive juice, sprinkle with some chopped cilantro and place an olive in the center to look good. To add some red color, you may also lightly sprinkle paprika near the edge.

It's an appetizer/meze to be eaten with pita bread. I pay a lot of attention how food looks but it's really not necessary.

One can go really creative with the way it's prepared - may add garlic paste, spices, all kinds of ingredients to it.

Thank you all gentlemen and you also Ms. Helen for the info and the recipes. The girlfriend got me into eating more of it and she actually makes a lot even uses some spinach and few jalapenos and occasionally a habanero in her blend. My mother got me into eating it as she has a membership at Costco.

thank you all again,

Adam

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I love the stuff, i have tried several different brands and I keep going back to Sabra.

Same here and the garlic is my favorite.

Sorry, just had to post it!
grin2.gif

I love the stuff, and even come up with some weird 'recipes' of my own - mixing in some pistachio, walnuts or almonds for instance. Although it gives it a really strong flavor, I also love having it with roquette, oregano or sumac. Some people mix in some minced meat with it here, which also tastes pretty nice. Have to say the plain garlic flavored version is my all time favorite though.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Sorry, just had to post it!
grin2.gif

I love the stuff, and even come up with some weird 'recipes' of my own - mixing in some pistachio, walnuts or almonds for instance. Although it gives it a really strong flavor, I also love having it with roquette, oregano or sumac. Some people mix in some minced meat with it here, which also tastes pretty nice. Have to say the plain garlic flavored version is my all time favorite though.

Do they eat raw ground filet mignon in Kuwait? I recall my grandma making something like that and she told me it was a dish from Lebanon. I was a kid and at the time the idea of raw beef grossed me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back