Homemade Ice Cream Recipes, Anyone?

After decades of making ice cream with a large capacity (6 quart) White Mountain ice cream maker, I recently decided that perhaps I was ready to give up the entire routine, of buying or freezing extra ice, layering the rock salt, and then cleaning up all the mess. I felt it is time to go for convenience, and try one of the countertop style, small batch refrigerated ice cream makers. So I picked up a Cuisinart ICE-100.

It has been a lot of fun so far. I love the simplicity. I've tried a couple recipes out of the booklet that came with it. And I've also made a few batches using the recipe that I have used for decades, but with it cut back to accommodate the 1 1/2 quart capacity of the new ice cream maker.

As much as I like the base recipe that I have, and have made a few variants from it, I'm looking for more ice cream recipes to try out. Does anyone here have an ice cream recipe, or recipes, that you really like, and you would be willing to share? I would also like to try a few gelato recipes, if anyone has one to share.

I have a white mountain as well! I love making ice cream but as I’ve gotten older the lactose has become a problem so I make it less and less. I have made some lactose free but it’s really expensive.

Here are my favorites

Ice cream recipes

Pumpkin spice

Ingredients

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1-1/2 cup half & half
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Dash salt

Instructions

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add pumpkin, sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla and coconut milk. Add spices, stir and cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker.

Vanilla

Ingredients

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1-1/2 cup half & half
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • Dash salt

Instructions

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla and coconut milk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker.

Egg nog

Ingredients

• 2 quarts egg nog
  • 1 quart whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 ounces bourbon or fireball
  • Dash salt

Instructions

Scald eggnog until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in vanilla and bourbon. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker.

Maple walnut

Ingredients

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1-1/2 cup half & half
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • Dash salt
  • 1 cup walnuts pieces

Instructions

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add maple syrup, sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla and coconut milk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker. Add walnuts when almost frozen.

Lactose free ice creams

Pumpkin spice

Ingredients

• 2 cups lactose free whole milk
  • 1-1/2 cup lactose free half & half
  • 1-1/2 cups lactose free whipping cream
  • 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Dash salt

Instructions

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add pumpkin, sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla and coconut milk. Add spices, stir and cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker.

Vanilla

Ingredients

• 1 cup white sugar
  • Dash salt

Instructions

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla and coconut milk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker.

Egg nog

Ingredients

• 1 quart lactose free egg nog
  • 1 quart lactose free half & half
  • 1 quart lactose free whipping cream
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 ounces bourbon or fireball
  • Dash salt

Instructions

Scald eggnog until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla, bourbon and coconut milk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker.

Maple walnut

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • Dash salt
  • 1 cup walnuts pieces

Instructions

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add maple syrup, sugar and salt, stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in half and half, vanilla and coconut milk. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Freeze with ice cream maker. Add walnuts when almost frozen.

Just my $0.02

FWIW my vanilla is probably the best I’ve had, I love it. As a treat for the family I’ll take 3 Heath bars and purée into powder and 3 more crushed up. I put them in as the mix sets up.

Just my $0.02

@tnt_motorsports, Thank you so much! I'm excited to try some of these. Maple nut ice cream is one of my favorite store bought ice creams, and I was just recently wondering if I could find a good recipe. I'll be trying your maple walnut ice cream first.

I'm curious, is it hard to find lactose free half/half and lactose free whipping cream, in your area? Here in Utah, Fairlife is readily available in most any grocery, so it's easy to get lactose free whole milk. But I've never seen lactose free half/half or lactose free whipping cream.

No one in my family is lactose intolerant, but I love the flavor of Fairlife milk products, so I occasionally spend the extra money for them.

I remember National Ice Cream Day at a local science museum. It was free, done outdoors without requiring admission. It was done in Ziplock bags surrounded by ice in old cutoff pant legs. That was fun just shaking it.

My earliest recollection of homemade ice cream was an old crank ice cream maker. My father would have each of us take our turn cranking. I was pretty young at the time, and didn't make it too long.

Dad moved up to an electric White Mountain 4 quart ice cream maker. When my parents became empty nesters, they gave that well used White Mountain to me. I tore apart the motor and gear box, cleaned it all up and lubed it up with marine grease. I used it for another 15 or so years, before buying my 6 quart White Mountain, which I have used for over 20 years.

My new Cuisinart ice cream maker is quite a leap from the crank machine my father had when I was a little tike.

@tnt_motorsports, Thank you so much! I'm excited to try some of these. Maple nut ice cream is one of my favorite store bought ice creams, and I was just recently wondering if I could find a good recipe. I'll be trying your maple walnut ice cream first.

I'm curious, is it hard to find lactose free half/half and lactose free whipping cream, in your area? Here in Utah, Fairlife is readily available in most any grocery, so it's easy to get lactose free whole milk. But I've never seen lactose free half/half or lactose free whipping cream.

No one in my family is lactose intolerant, but I love the flavor of Fairlife milk products, so I occasionally spend the extra money for them.

Lactose free dairy products are available at Hy-Vee. As I mentioned previously, they are expensive. I have tried using just the milk as lactose free so at least it is minimized. It was better so that is the route I usually go now.

Just my $0.02

Frozen ripe mango, coconut milk, yogurt, blended and topped with raw organic honey.

Real good.

Sept 28 2023 (1).JPG

Back