HPL EC usage

In my Element and C1500, tons, filters were black when I cut them open but they were not maintained well by the PO's. My Expedition that was religiously maintained w 3k oci's by the PO, the filters were clean and looked new. I changed filters every 1500-2000 miles on all 3.
Gotcha, thank u again.
I am re-posting the EC uoa. The oxidation is high and is expected for a cleaner. Typically, the oxidation baseline is around 20s for non-neglected uoa or a voa.

HPL EC voa

Last edited:
If that's the case I would skip EC altogether and just use their PCMO product. IMO the EC should be used on neglected engines.
Your observation is correct. I saw a HPL passenger engine oil voa and the oxidation is around 20.

The interesting thing is that the recommendation of 20% by volume of EC to engine oil has an equivalent oxidation 1 to 5 ratio (oxidation is in absolute/cm 20 vs 113)

In other words, (20*5 qts + 113*1qt)/ 6qts = 35.5
This is less than double in what is in a voa sample.

Last edited:
Why do you feel you need it? What oil have you been using in it?
Preventative Maintenance. No leaks, sludge, or oil consumption. My Venza has a 2GR-FE V6 is not known for oil consumption but cleaning up the piston oil control rings up for the next 120k.

Note: The Toyota dealer just replaced the scheduled: iridium sparks, orig serpentine belt, pink coolant and brake fluid flush and air cleaner. I replaced the pcv at 98k.

5K oc with 10k Fram ultra xg9972 filter changes. I have used PP, PUP, zepro and Shell gas truck and all at 0-20. Planning to do a spring/summer 5-30 and fall/winter 0-30. I do a uoa every oc.

Wlk answered my EC question on potentially causing an oil leak.

Last edited:
Here is my poor n52 that I’m trying to cleanup.

IMG_4407.jpeg

Tell us more.

How much longer do you have to go before you switch to HPL Euro?
I just changed the oil and added the EC. I did 6qts M1 0w-40 and 1 qt EC 30. My current plan is 2 intervals of 3000 mi OCI.

My other N52 looks much better. I am considering changing that and my b58 to HPL euro. I recently joined the mobil 1 train with all my bmws though.

1998 Corolla in my sig: I'm presently running 1 qt of HPL EC30 mixed with 3.5 Qts Mobil 0W40. My plan is to run it for one full year, then drain and replace with more Mobil 0W40. At this rate, I should have about 4000 miles on this OCI. I already have observed the oil's color and the appearance reminds me of the oil from a diesel engine! To me, that's all I need to know.......
Further, I'm running an oversized filter, just to be safe. (Old school Fram Ultra3600).

Question to thread starter, "have you changed your PCV yet?" Run the HPL EC as Dave stated to you. Does not have to be complicated.

When u say HPL, u mean HPL EC? Am I correct?
I just bought 6 qts of HPL EC. I think Dave’s comment 30-90 days is conservative and errors on the side of caution.

You're not planning to put all 6 qts in at once are you? There is a specific ratio of normal oil to EC that needs to be followed, EC is not meant to be run all by itself.

You're not planning to put all 6 qts in at once are you? There is a specific ratio of normal oil to EC that needs to be followed, EC is not meant to be run all by itself.
No, only 1 qt of HPL EC, and 90day duration.
The Toyota V6 2GR-FS sump capacity is 6.4qt
Currently, I am 1K in a 5K OCI. The plan is the following:

Drain oil filter housing (Toyota has a drain plug) and collect oil

Remove Toyota oil filter housing and install pre-filled oil housing -new filter that contains hpl EC. And collect oil and transfer to a small bottle for kitchen scale weight. There is approx 865g in 1qt of HPL EC.

Based on the weight difference between the collected oil and the remaining weight of the hpl EC, open open the Fumoto ball drain valve to get the already collected oil to be equivalent to the hpl EC bottle weight.

Once satisfied add hpl EC and check oil level

The Fumoto makes it easy even with hot oil.

Last edited:
Update: done…. drained 817g of engine oil, installed a new Toyota oil filter and added 856g of hpl ec. From hpl ec specific gravity @ 0.86g/ml, I calculated 814g per quart, but the actual contents was 856g.

Wait 90 days and do an 6.4qt 5-30 oc.

IMG_7884.jpeg

Last edited:
Back