How would you choose your next car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shaman

Neon SRT-4 - No cruise control and small seats kinda worry me, but they seem to be good on MPG for the size and power. A little showy though maybe

I have the closest thing you can get to a station wagon version of that car.(the intake manifold and turbo plumbing is different. otherwise it is all SRT/4) The engine has proven to be durable despite what the Chrysler naysayers think. Timing belt is a beast. The PT-GT actually has a muffler (gotta' be a straight through design) and it is still a fairly loud car. The SRT/4 has no mufflers.

A few SRT/4s had cruise control. It's on a little stubby stalk below the lower right steering wheel spoke like a Mitsubishi instead of on the spokes themselves. It's an unfortunate location but some had it. Don't know why the bulk of SRT/4s did not but I've seen one or two that did. It's not that the engine could not be equipped with cruise because virtually every PT-GT has cruise.

Fuel economy is not good and it requires premium. (but then again my version is heavier and has a non-aerodynamic truncated backside)

My parents had a 9-3. About a 2004 model IIRC. It was an awesome car, freeway, in town, handling...etc... but it had a persistant bug that would not allow it to start. The dealership verified that it had this problem but could not solve it. Turn the key and nothing would happen. About a day later it would start like nothing wrong had ever happened. Also there were persistant window regulator problems.

As far as other cars? I've been intrigued by Saturn Astras. Being a dead brand, they should be fairly affordable. Engine parts should be available as long as they make Cruze LSes with the 1.8L Drove an XR the other day and it was a good freeway car with surprisingly good handling. The transmission ratios seem to be badly chosen for around town acceleration though and the interior is full of unintelligible German ideograms that will take some getting used to. Also, the timing belt looks like a real pain.

I love the Volvo C30. Hate that it has a Chi-Com parent company now.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You start with your requirements

I really have no requirements. I need a car, with cruise control. I don't need A or 4WD, hauling, no dogs, no pets, no load requirements. Father has a truck and a convertible. Will be staying with them for at least a while. No kids, and don't plan on the wife being there for a year. MP3 flash drive compatibility would be nice.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Find a 9-3 Aero with the later model Holden designed V6....
Luxury Sport sedan that can be had in your price range.

2.0T Saab is $6K and up
2.8T Saab is $13.6K and up

For $13.6K I would buy a 2009 Cobalt SS/TC sedan. I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper one, because I could use HPtuners for it, and an LS1 and the SS/TC

Last edited:
There is not one car on today's market that interests me enough to even think about it. My del sol gets better gas mileage then anything sold today even beats out hybrids that dont TRY to get more than EPA ratings. But if I could own a new car it would either be a Mustang or Camaro. I miss owning a V8 to have fun with.

you see the trouble i have is that iam bias, on one brand. after i have been driving 36 years with 30 cars, i have come to the conclusion there is NO such thing as BEST.

You start with your requirements, not wants or fantasies...

Yep, I'm down to an AMG V12 Merc S class or a Rolls Royce Arnage T.

Very hard decision, I mean I could get a spaceship with a V12 or the Queens study with a turbo charged V8.

Or I could go with an outlier and get an Aston Martin DBS!

I want a car that's going to be an unique experience, an engineering marvel or a marvel of craftsmanship, and just interesting.

Last edited:
I do not buy any car until the law enforcement,taxi and private car service people test them out first..I let them [and even some people right here] be the guinea pigs..I have been doing that for a very long time.

That works out very well if you plan to keep a vehicle for 300K miles.

For me:

1. Budget - how much cash do I have to spend? I don't do car payments any more.
2. Space - I have 3 kids, from age 6-15, so I need a back seat that can accommodate all three in a pinch.
3. Fuel economy - I drive over 400 miles a week, so fuel is my largest car-related expense.
4. Reliability - Most newer cars today will be fine in this regard.
5. Seating position - I have an upper back injury that requires a higher and more upright seating position.

My xB is a really good balance of all of these requirements.

For my wife:

1. Honda

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Very hard decision, I mean I could get a spaceship with a V12 or the Queens study with a turbo charged V8.

I want a car that's going to be an unique experience, an engineering marvel or a marvel of craftsmanship, and just interesting.

You and me both!!

But I think that has moved the discussion into the realm of hobbies/pursuits/interests...vs. car, which I consider to be more "transportation"....

No reason for transportation to be boring or dull, but it should suit your needs first...

Hobbies on the other hand, well...you have listed a few worthy choices...clearly, I am an aficionado of finely engineered and manufactured machinery...no matter what the era...and I've driven a good friend's S600 AMG...what a machine!

Cheers.

I simply buy what I like (looks wise) and will suit my needs (hauling people and towing my car). Nothing else to me matters. Hence my 07 Yukon. I like the way they look, it will tow my car and haul a bunch of people, has plenty of interior room, plenty of power, LSX is a proven rock solid engine etc etc. Frankly if I do not like the way something looks I wont buy it period. I don't care if everything about it is best in class I will not buy it. Why buy something I will not enjoy driving? Just goes to show, to most people a car is an appliance to get from point A to point B and nothing else. I cringe at the sight of 95% of the cars on the road today. I would not touch 95% of them if you gave them to me.

I am a car guy through and through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

You and me both!!

But I think that has moved the discussion into the realm of hobbies/pursuits/interests...vs. car, which I consider to be more "transportation"....

No reason for transportation to be boring or dull, but it should suit your needs first...

Hobbies on the other hand, well...you have listed a few worthy choices...clearly, I am an aficionado of finely engineered and manufactured machinery...no matter what the era...and I've driven a good friend's S600 AMG...what a machine!

Cheers.

How is your Packard doing? I love those old pre war cars. I missed out on a 1940 Buick Business coupe a while back. Original clean car, would have made a good driver. I probably would have figured out a way to put some modern discs in the front though.

Last edited:
Original cars make the best collectors and drivers, unless we're talking about a concours-level restoration...which few can afford...

Thanks for asking, she's unwell, a torn up no. 1 rod bearing that I have not had time to address...I can't get a mic on the crank journal to check for damage without pulling the engine...well...I problably could, but want to do the job right. Looks like there was still some babbit on the rod itself, so I am hopeful for the crank's condition.

Fortunately, there are still a few guys who will re-pour the rods on vintage machinery. By the way, it was not the oil's fault, the babbit alloy is very soft and susceptible to heat, and the engine over heated (I have since fixed the radiator), causing the babbit metal to flow and start the bearing knock...

Once that's fixed (and it will likely be after I return from my next deployment) - I can't wait to get her on the road again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I do not buy any car until the law enforcement,taxi and private car service people test them out first..I let them [and even some people right here] be the guinea pigs..I have been doing that for a very long time.

That works out very well if you plan to keep a vehicle for 300K miles.

Had a Crown Vic, motor went at 87K miles shelled the back left piston. Cat(s) went at 50K. Should have done the Mustang/Mark8 ECU piston head intake TB swap, but didn't have all the parts. That said, cats and engine in 87K miles isn't what I would call great, neither was the 17 mpg driving like the granny car it was.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
For me:

1. Budget - how much cash do I have to spend? I don't do car payments any more.
$5-10K, 12K if I can convince myself that Stage 0 isn't needed
Quote:

2. Space - I have 3 kids, from age 6-15, so I need a back seat that can accommodate all three in a pinch.

I'm big, hence new seats for the SRT-4
Quote:

3. Fuel economy - I drive over 400 miles a week, so fuel is my largest car-related expense.

Don't know how much I will be driving, but as the $7 a gallon I am at now, I know that I want 20-30 at least
Quote:

4. Reliability - Most newer cars today will be fine in this regard.

No comment here
Quote:

5. Seating position - I have an upper back injury that requires a higher and more upright seating position.

No back injury, but do enjoy the visibility that a hatch gives.

Gonna take the DSM down a notch or two, the generation I am looking at has a random problem called crankwalk. Unplug the clutch switch, don't use the clutch at lights, keep the clutch weak, don't ride it etc. Seems like alot. Other choice is install a 6-bolt engine, don't know but probably $2Kish.

The mini cooper s R56 has a direct injection, and suffers from buildup rather quickly of hard carbon, an the dealer wants $200 a pop, or pulling off the intake and manually scrubbing the intake ports. At least with the TDI, the EGR can be reduced. R56 has cam overlap EGR. Mileage is in the middle to high 30's though. Carbon a necessary evil?

SRT-4 is just gonna come off the table, no cruise control, no good seats etc.

Ms3 is still there, the MPG seems to be in the lower 30's, simply tuneable, and the high pressure fuel pump only seems to be a problem with a few mods, more than I plan on doing.

TDI still there, but at that point I might as well do basic mods and save up for a bike

Saab is still up in the air. Tuning is $350-600 for the 2.0T, plus another $1K for mods, and 2.8T is a higher buy in, lower mpg, but the power would be a HPTuners tune away, and HPT could be used for the CobaltSS or C5 i have always been looking at.

I don't know what else to put on the list. TIming belt would be something to list I guess. Anyone care to comment?

If I were in the market for a new car, I'd make a bee-line to the Prius C. Now for sale at ~$18k and with the best MPG of any car on the market at the moment, it's the way to go for sure.

As a person who spends time on car website, I can say that I couldn't bring myself to buy a prius of any kind being a gun owner, and "conservative"

Get a three-valve S197 Mustang (2005-2010). Good gas mileage and a huge aftermarket. Easy power gains. Took a 645 convertible the other day with only my x-pipe and mufflers. He was mad.

As a person who spends time on car website, I can say that I couldn't bring myself to buy a prius of any kind being a gun owner, and "conservative"

Umm as an avid gun owner/collector (law enforcement), if I was buying a new car today it would absolutely be a Prius C.

Why is that?
Does fuel economy require explanation? Does utility require explanation? Does affordability or reliability require explanation? Why don't you tell us why not to get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back