How to properly transport cargo on the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several months from now I will be moving 2000 miles across the country and I'd like to transport some things on my car's roof. I'm thinking it'll be my clothes, linens, perhaps a couple other things. My car is a subcompact (Mitsubishi Eclipse). I need to know how to safely do this and also, what necessary things I need to buy to secure a box on the roof. I have zero experience with this kind of thing.

Thanks!

Sears sells some good rooftop carriers. I use one on my Murano, easy and safe, but I have a factory roof rack. They sell roof racks also. They do initial install for free.

You can get a soft-side carrier, they are much cheaper also.

Sears Car Top Carriers

Last edited:
Put the light weight, bulky stuff in the carrier, and your heavy items towards the floor of the car. Keep your center of gravity as low as possible.

When I last used a roof rack, about thirteen years ago, I layed a tarp over the roof, put the stuff to be carried evenly on the tarp, folded the tarp back over the stuff, and then used a bungee net hooked here and there to the roof rack to secure it.
I did the first fifty miles at moderate speeds, and then stopped and checked the security of the load.
If all was well, I then drove normally.
This worked really well for us.
YMMV.

I'd go with one of the soft bag carriers if you don't plan on doing this often. There are types that don't require a roof rack. If you use one of the bags, be sure to put something soft, like a folded blanket, on the bottom of the load that will be against the roof of the car. Any type of folded tarp will not protect your goods and will eventually come undone, in my experience. One thing I have found is that it is necessary to periodically inspect the load and make sure all the straps are tight, nothing is flapping, etc. I try to give the load a once over at every fill up.

UPS, Fedex ground etc and some others may be cheaper overall. I would just check into it. 2000 miles with a noisy thing on your roof is not so great.....

For a 2K mile trip I would probably look into a proper roof rack and cargo carrier. This can always be again on craigslist at the new destination. Check out Thule, Yakima, and Inno

Last edited:
Is it possible you could rent a tiny u-haul trailer?

If not, I would check out a soft-sided car top carrier, they have them at Walmart for around $50 or so....it's like a heavy-duty canvas entirely zippered square carrier that holds quite a bit, and just secure it to your factory rails on your roof.

I bought one a few years back, works great and keeps stuff dry too; easily folds up and put in a corner too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back