How to kill battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I permanently kill a car battery? Dumped electrolyte and replaced with baking soda solution. Darn thing still took a charge! Same result with salt water and plain water. What next?

Quit charging it.
wink.gif

Leave it dry and I doubt it will work.

What's the goal......for a ~in warranty replacement ~ ?

I guess you could just stick a dumb charger and cook it out ?

If you did all that and it still test and works good, how good was it before you started messing with it. WHY kill a good battery? to get a new one? Sometimes a GOOD old battery will last longer than a new one. I am never one to replace something just because it is a little old. Many times I have found the older stuff to be far superior to new. Just my 2 cents

On the same theme.

What would happen if you were to charge a battery with the polarity reversed. As in the charger clips on the wrong terminals.?

I bet this has happened more than a few times.

Break one of the straps connecting the lead plates in the cells.

Back when I worked at an Interstate Battery store, this was the most common reason to declare a battery dead.

Tests good at store but won't hold charge more than 2-3 days. Tried in 2 different vehicles to eliminate electrical drain possibility.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Tests good at store but won't hold charge more than 2-3 days. Tried in 2 different vehicles to eliminate electrical drain possibility.

I had this happen to me. I just demanded a new battery. They gave in and gave me a new battery. If it is a chain store, try a different store location if possible.

Advance. They put it on charger then on their little analyzer. Gives a printout saying "good battery". I think they are just measuring a surface charge. Refuse to replace until black box says "bad battery."

I would think tap water from Flint would eat away the sulfation. The the other nastiness would act as an electrolyte. The lead in the water would bond to the plates.

SS, it doesn't "work." That is the problem. Testing "good" on their machine is different than "working." The question is how to kill the thing so that it does not test "good."

I've had batteries that had a hard time coming back to life after being totally discharged for a while. Maybe stick an incandescent light between the terminals and let it totally drain.

A broken terminal seems like a good bet too. Maybe overtighten some clamps on it, then over charge it so acid bubbles out.

How about explaining the battery is dead in 2 days, have them charge and test battery, leave it there for 2 days and test again. problem solved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back