How Old Is Your Lawn Mower(s)?? And How Many Hours Approximately?

I had a 28 year old high rear wheel push mower with a Techumseh engine. Had to replace one wheel and carburetor. Gave it to my son and he uses it for trimming. Still going strong. Always stored out of the weather. I paid $99.00 for it new.

We have a 10 year old Craftsman (actually a Husqvarna) 42" riding mower at our cabin. Unknown hours and I replaced the battery once. Oil changes every fall (whatever full syn 5w/40 is on sale since I use it in the ATV and jet ski), replaced the air and fuel filter 3 times and the spark plug once. Never had to replace the belts, deck bearings or anything else. It gets hard use due to the sandy soil mixed in with leaves and sticks. Mower blades get sharpened maybe twice before they're thrown into the scrap bin.

I bought a Craftsman push mower powered by a Honda 160 back in 2004, so it's 20 years old. Still going strong. Over the years I've replaced the carburetor and spark plug, and changed the oil a few times, but that's about it. I used to mow about 3 acres of grass with it, so it's got a lot of hours.
3 acres with a pushmower: You are THE MAN!

3 year old Toro 34" zero turn Time Cutter with 60 hours on it (I added an electronic clock). I use it 12 months a year. I got tired of even self propelled push mowers. Gave 2 Hondas (great mowers) to my 2 sons.

20 year old Yard Machines with a Chonda engine. Couldn't begin to know how many hours. My 3 year old rider probably has 100 hours .

2008 Cub Cadet 19" Self propelled mower with the Powermore / Chonda clone 173cc engine.
Still starts in one to two pulls.

Have a few properties that I maintain:

2018 Craftsman ProSeries 21" 190cc Briggs & Stratton Front-Wheel Drive Lawn Mower for my main family house. It does the job, only bogs when the grass gets high and I dont need to push. Its nothing special but the paint looks new. I maintain it religiously, no clue on hours.

2008 Craftsman DLS 3500 riding mower, Bought back in 2008, used it for about a year then sat in an outbuilding for 14 years. Revived it about 5 months ago, runs great and its at the in-laws. I'm bringing it back home this weekend, it will probably become my main mower when i'm lazy. no clue on hours but might add a meter.

2020 Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro, my in laws. I have had it since the fall doing a repair on the oil drain, the belt tensioner on the deck was stuck, and a few other odds and ends. Its going back up to their place this weekend. I like it alot, about 47 hours.

2016 John Deere x354 riding mower, kawasaki engine. Only 22 hours, It has mowed some rough terrain though and gets abused by myself. It has a surging problem at the moment but it evens out after a short while, I am pretty sure its some kind of air intake leak that goes away when things get hot.

I have a Kubota BX2350 with a 60 inch mid mount mower. Its too large and defeats the purpose of a tractor in my opinion and will be selling the deck soon.

My JD 1025R also has a RC2060 Rotary Cutter I bought from the dealer used but havent played with it yet. Its pretty big and supposed to be able to cut 3 inch stuff.

I gave away a 2002 Craftsman 20” with the big rear wheels, no self propel, in 2022. My buddy who rents a house is using it now. It always started 1st try and I never changed its spark plug and did the oil maybe 3x. As far as hours don’t know, but once a week for 35 min, spring to summer.

I have a 2021 Honda now, and I plan to maintain by the book, it cost too much to chance it, I guess 😂 ($629). The Craftsman was like $189.

I had a 2002 and the only issue by 2019 was the metal deteriorated, that keeps the grass from spraying (so it all gets mulched or bagged)…
That's what paint cans and pop rivets are for.

1200 hours on my 318 with the P218 Onan. Using more oil than it used to but I will keep feeding it till it dies. The snow blower can kill it but the belt on the mower will slip before it dies and that isn't unless you get 3 ft long grass or twine or netwrap in it.

I have a 2011 Honda commercial mower and it cuts a half an acre each week during the Grass cutting season.

I had a 28 year old high rear wheel push mower with a Techumseh engine. Had to replace one wheel and carburetor. Gave it to my son and he uses it for trimming. Still going strong. Always stored out of the weather. I paid $99.00 for it new.
Techumseh engines of that era were really good engines.

Ariens Zoom 34” ZTR. I think it’s 11 years old this year. Maybe 12. Maybe 500 hours on it? Briggs 14.5 1cyl. I try to take care of it but it gets run hard at times. It’s on its 4th deck and 3rd battery, and I don’t recall the blades but they are oem. Tires are approaching EOL. Engine doesn’t use a drop of oil and gets synthetic every august. I love this little ZTR. I can just barely reverse it up a set of ramps into the bed of my f150 and push it in … inside of the camper shell.

I changed the ztr transmission fluid via mityvac after a couple of years - it’s probably due again.

Just curious, how old is your lawn mower (and what lawn mower is it)?? Brand? Push mower, walk behind, riding mower?

I‘ll go first: I have a Troy Bilt 430 push mower, bought in 2008 and still going strong after 16 years. I also have a Toro 20330 Recycler walk behind self propelled mower, bought in 2010 and also going strong after 14 years. Both have Briggs and Stratton L-head engines (both about 190 cc “6.75 torque”) and have plenty of power to get the job done. Each gets roughly 20 or so hours of use per year, so about 320 hours on the TB and about 280 hours on the Toro. I use Amsoil synthetic 5W-30 motor oil on both. I try to change the oil every season but wind up not always doing that.
Ariens Apex 60” with Kawi FR730V engine. 151 hours, coming up on 5 years in October. 3.1 acres. Spent 5 hours on all factory fluids, then 135 on Amsoil Small Engjne & Hydro, then 11 hours so far (none in ‘24 yet) on HPL Small Engine & Hydro.

Used WIX SL10102 filters on the hydros, but going back to HG filters due to insane WIX cost. Used an XG3600 with the Amsoil, and went to an FE3600 with the HPL. I’m planning on sampling the HPL at 150 hours, and going from there. Still on all original parts, including the blades. Pretty solid showing from Ariens IMO!

My Ransomes Bobcat 36" walk behind is from the early nineties. It's got a Kohler Command that runs great with about a million hours on it as I bought it from a landscape company. It's the bestest, most reliable mower I've ever had after I replaced the spindles, belts and pulleys.

My rider is a cheap Crapsman from the early 2000's with a lot fewer hours. My guess is about 300 hours on it. Works pretty well but needs a new deck belt every 100 hours or so.

Back