How often should I change my coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would changing the coolant in the pressurized o/flow tank yearly have any benefit? I can get about 2.5 L out of mine which represents a little more than 1/4 of the cooling system capacity. I do believe the coolant in this tank circulates throughout the cooling system? I don't have a rad cap and siphoning the fluid out of the o/flow tank is so simple. Would this keep the system somewhat fresh?

Can someone also explain the difference between the old "expansion o/flow tank" with a rad and rad cap vs. the newer "pressurized tank" that has the pressurized cap ? Thx.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

I wouldn't touch it until it hits 100K, the question is will this Nissan Versa hold up to 100K, they make shoddy vehicles

Can't tell if serious, esp. with your user name.

I may be outdated but doesn't anyone use the Prestone flush kit anymore. Seemed to be a complete and easy way to flush out the system.I installed it on all of my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Doad
Would changing the coolant in the pressurized o/flow tank yearly have any benefit? I can get about 2.5 L out of mine which represents a little more than 1/4 of the cooling system capacity. I do believe the coolant in this tank circulates throughout the cooling system? I don't have a rad cap and siphoning the fluid out of the o/flow tank is so simple. Would this keep the system somewhat fresh?

Can someone also explain the difference between the old "expansion o/flow tank" with a rad and rad cap vs. the newer "pressurized tank" that has the pressurized cap ? Thx.

That's how I do it... I suck the reservoir empty after winter, and run a lower concentration of coolant in the summer, but as winter approches or threatens to get severe I replace with high concentration coolant again.

No need to run -36°C protection in summer (although it's less work) and the higher (distilled) water content soacks up more heat anyway. I run about -15°C in the warmer half of the year.

there's very little difference in the operation of the pressurised tanks vs unpressurized, but it mimicks more the central heater for houses, probably less chance of spills through the overflow

Last edited:
You're quite the moron, aren't you?

Quote:
Quote:
May be the junk GM vehicles would need quick replacement, that shouldn't be the case with imports

You can buy coolant ph test strips exactly like what dealers use to determine when to change antifreeze.

http://www.acustrip.com/index.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Trak-311519...c1e&vxp=mtr

I've actually forgotten where I bought mine, but I have a bottle of Accustrip part #1550 test strips in my toolbox in the garage. I paid about $10-12 for 50? strips.

Instructions for use are on the label on the side of the bottle. Dealers do not go by age or mileage, they go by ph; and I would think that the car owner's manual would defer to dealer recommendation. And dealer recommendation is going to go by ph.

The fellow who said to use distilled water is absolutely correct.

My son is a Mr. Goodwrench at a GM dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back