How often do you change your cabin filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this sheet of activated carbon, looks like this

Activated-Carbon-Fiber-Filter-Mesh-CF-Z-.jpg

I cut a square out the size of my cabin air filter and lay it on top of the filter (easily accessible from the glove compartment). I probably replace it right after spring and after summer. I leave the actual pleated filter in for much longer, probably somewhere between 1-2 years..

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I use 1-2 sheets of Bounce as pre-filter, replace Bounce once a year and cabin filter every 5-6 years.

The bounce is a good idea for a pre filter, to catch any large particles, but doesn't the smell wear out fast?

Yes, the smell wear out in less than 3-4 hours of running the fan.

The bounce catches larger particles and some dirt too, it can be fairly black after 1 year/12k miles.

Cool! Where do you get this stuff?

Originally Posted By: cutter

Activated-Carbon-Fiber-Filter-Mesh-CF-Z-.jpg

I cut a square out the size of my cabin air filter and lay it on top of the filter (easily accessible from the glove compartment). I probably replace it right after spring and after summer. I leave the actual pleated filter in for much longer, probably somewhere between 1-2 years..

Just happen to check cabin filter yesterday on recent bought 2010 Hyundai. Vehicle now has 45k (39k on purchase) and the cabin filter was clean except a couple little bug looking critters. Was probably replaced before sale I figure. Cleaned it anyway. Anyway book calls for 30k replacements. This one is easy to R&R.
I'm used to not having a cabin filter.

Where did u buy it and for how much?

Maybe it's the positioning of the cabin filters, but they're filthy on the Windstar and Accord long before the engine filters. 2X per year on the Windstar and once a year on the Accord, which is a bigger pain to change.
Kevin

I replaced the factory cabin filter on my 2012 corolla and it was a very dark gray (13,000 miles 1.5 years). I went with a Wix this time, seems like a good filter and fit.

Originally Posted By: Vintage
Cool! Where do you get this stuff?

Originally Posted By: fpracha

Where did u buy it and for how much?

http://www.amazon.com/Cut-to-fit-Carbon-for-Air-Purifiers/dp/B000U204W2

Lots of sizes and vendors on Amazon, that's where I got mine.

I think if you need a new air filter, then you probably need a new cabin air filter.

There cannot be any fixed time or mileage interval, because it depends on your environment. If you drive on gravel roads or live near frequent wildfires, then your cabin filter will need frequent replacement.

With my Sportage the lifetime appeared to be about 15k miles.

I'm hoping to only have to do them yearly with the Sorento. Takes all of about 5 minutes to swap them and the filters are something around $10. I think the recommended interval is 1yr / 15 or 20k miles. Because of how the air flows in from outside it collects a lot of dirt. Thankfully its very easy to get access to.

My dealer told me that the Sportage I had was up for a change during an oil change, I declined because I knew I could to it myself. When I checked the filter they were absolutely correct. It was filthy and after changing the filter, suddenly the a/c was actually blowing properly again.
smile.gif

Hello, 30K had piled up on a Saab 9-5's 12" X 8" X 1.5 hard framed filter over 2 years. It looked "clean" but that means nothing. A couple of leaves. I changed it because I had it out. Later I casually tapped it on a brick garden wall and saw a TON of filth fall out of the filter with each tap.

Also, you can't really clean a filter because the fine dirt gets into the media. Sure you can clean accumulations from the pleats (think shop vac filter) but you're not EVER going to get it clean. Compare it to dumping the coffee grounds from a paper filter and reusing it. That filter is full.

Honestly, get real. Kira

I agree the change interval varies with local driving conditions. My 2000 Accord's cabin filter is a pain to check or change, so I have only replaced it twice in 9 years. I basically use the engine air filter replacement as a guide. Cabin filter gets changed about every other engine filter change.

Based on what our CR-V's CAF looked like after 20K, I'm going to replace it yearly. When we got our '98 Century in June, first thing I did was change the oil and check the air/cabin filters. Engine air filter wasn't too bad but there was a mouse nest on top of the cabin filter with tons of droppings between the pleats.

Although vacuuming can remove the outer dirt, think of the [censored] that's lodged inside.

I went 18 months, and it was filthy. In the future I'm going ever 12 months. My Mazda6 takes about 2 minutes to change and the filters are $10 from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back