How much weight for traction?

FWIW my opinion is…
With good tires and proper skill you don’t need any added weight in a 4WD truck. I don’t add any to my truck and I seldom use 4WD. I understand I live in Iowa but we do get snow as well.

It’s like it tell my boys speed is not your friend and the hardest thing is the whoa! Not the go! Stopping is more important than going.

Just my $0.02

Dont want all those cinder blocks flying around in an accident! Maybe worse than the accident itself...
I just use giant wire ties to tie them together and tie off both sides with half inch rope to the cargo tie downs. So in over 20 years of using the blocks nothing has moved.

No substitute for winter tires… Weight over the rear axle helps in snow, but ice can still cause issues even with the extra weight if the tires are too wide & not winter compound nor studs. I’ve driven fairly heavily loaded vans for a long time-I put all the heavy stuff as far forward & low as possible-if you don’t, you may find yourself sliding down the road BACKWARDS!
"...No substitute for winter tires..."
How bout chains (Smokie will not let U thru in some Far West areas w/o)?

BUT... "...sliding down the road BACKWARDS!..."
even w/4 of them on my 4WD plow (1st gen bronk - sm drive's & walks) I slid backwards to
rest a day ona tree due to the thick ice condition.

I like the idea of softener salt. When I was a kid I remember my father always put a few bags of sand or gravel in the trunk of his Dodge Coronet. I've thought about adding a little weight to the back of my Sorento AWD but didn't want the bags of whatever hanging around in my garage or basement the rest of the year. The salt is a great idea because it gets used and not hanging around.

I like the idea of softener salt. When I was a kid I remember my father always put a few bags of sand or gravel in the trunk of his Dodge Coronet. I've thought about adding a little weight to the back of my Sorento AWD but didn't want the bags of whatever hanging around in my garage or basement the rest of the year. The salt is a great idea because it gets used and not hanging around.
You need the salt in the car during winter which is also when you need to use it. So its only available for one use... then its hanging around.

Back