How much is a 1990 6500 watt RV Generator worth?

Dad recently gave his rv away to someone who wasn’t going to use it on the road, so he pulled out the generator and kept it. I need to sell the thing, but have no idea what it’s worth. Hr meter was broken for years, but I’d be surprised if it had more than 1k hrs. Was working fine when removed.

What should I ask for it on Facebook marketplace?

IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5430.jpeg
if it had more than 1k hrs. Was working fine when removed.

What should I ask for it on Facebook marketplace?

Last edited:
You can get a new Chinese 6.5KW generator for less than $500. Unknown hours and 35 years old....$150 give or take $50 is my best guess. Others may have real world experience selling old generators and have more precise numbers. I am assuming a functioning machine.

I paid $200 for my replacement 4k watt one. Similar model, 1800 RPM engine. The exhaust noise is more pleasant, being half the frequency.

Make sure mice haven't gotten into the distributor trigger in the interim... eg make sure it still runs. You can take out the pickup coil and look inside for a mouse nest. Very common. If the vanes break you have to split the motor from the generator to replace things.

These are on a whole other level compared to a chinese 6.5 kw generator as far as longevity and build quality, but Power-per-gallon could be the same or worse. Mine took a 3600 oil filter and almost 4 quarts of oil.

Back