How many Panther owners onboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st was 86 crown vic,sold at 150,000 miles. 2d 96 grand marquis. sold at 187,000 to friend , it now has over 250,000, is driven as primary car. Presently own 2003 G M 120,000 miles, all these cars have or had only routine maintiance. Better cars are built, they are built by Ford. Have always used Pennzoil either 5w 20 or 5w 30. I will hate to see the demise of this great car.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
My understanding is 2011 is the last year for the Panther platform. Maybe we should have a million car Panther rally at the front steps of Ford Motor Company.

Put me down for that road trip Johnny. Will they replace it with another RWD platform or is this the end of the road? Anyone know what the plan is?

I believe it's the end of the road for RWD, unless you want an F-150.

What a shame. RWD is a better set up. Mercedes Benz and BMW know that better than anyone. I'll give them that.

While washing my 91 Grand Marquis this weekend on my driveway, somebody stopped and asked if I would consider selling the car. That gave me something to brag about for the rest of the weekend.

Did everyone forget the Mustang? The Ranger? Taurus SHO?

Personally, a Mustang GT500 interceptor would be pretty freaking sweet.
grin2.gif

I wonder if a petition from a bunch of crazies on here would sway Ford's thinking?

Where do I sign?

Has the platform become a financial failure for Ford at this point?

I think they should offer the Mustang engine as an option. Make a 2 door Crown Vic into a 21st Century Grand National. I think a 2 door, Town Car convertible would be the best advertising move they could make. People stare at convertibles and they remember them. It builds the brand.

Of course a suicide door convertible would blow everyone away.

The problem with the Panther is they just last too long...If you buy a Panther it will last for 20 years and for 400K trouble free miles.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
The problem with the Panther is they just last too long...If you buy a Panther it will last for 20 years and for 400K trouble free miles.

It seems like they do last that long.

Didn't want to start a new thread on this one, but I was at an auto auction this afternoon and there was a 2001 Grand Marquis LS with the Handling Package which didn't get much attention. Usually people grab these cars up in the air, and they are extremely popular. As soon as I took a glimpse at the speedometer, I knew what was repelling people away - it was at 945,000 kilometres! Had a word with the owner, and he purchased it used in March 2002 with 37,000 km on the clock and he's been traveling a lot with it since. The engine is original, but it's on it's second 4R70W. The first one gave it at 680,000 km.

I wonder if a petition from a bunch of crazies on here would sway Ford's thinking?

Where do I sign?

I think they should offer the Mustang engine as an option. Make a 2 door Crown Vic into a 21st Century Grand National. I think a 2 door, Town Car convertible would be the best advertising move they could make. People stare at convertibles and they remember them. It builds the brand.

Of course a suicide door convertible would blow everyone away.

There was a 2-door Marauder convertible concept based on the Panther chassis. IIRC, it was unsafe above 20MPH because of the loss of structural rigidity with out its roof. I wish they had even tried with the Marauder. 300HP isnt that much in a Sedan that curbs 4200lbs or so. More so when its from a DOHC that needs to scream to make power. Not that there are not some fast Marauders running around. Of course they really didnt have that many choices for an engine at the time. The 3V was not out yet, the SOHC 5.4 is a truck engine and the 5.4 DOHC is a tall wide [censored] motor that would take some doing and probably a cowl hood to make fit. The Terminator engine was around but Im sure the Mustang team didnt want to play nice and share. A pity the Marauder isnt still around now, a Marauder with the 5.0L out of the new Mustang would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back