How long is a meter

"That's the measured two-way speed of light, sometimes called the "canonical" speed of light, c."

"The one-way speed of light or Conventionality of Simultaneity Thesis - which we shall call CST, originally conceived by Hans Reichenbach[14] and verified by others. [5, 6, 8-9, 11, 12] The proposition that nature does not prefer one convention of simultaneity over another.:

We will use a spherically symmetric system with spherical coordinates. In the CST the speed of light as a function of direction relative to the observer is θ where θ is given by, cθ = c/(1-cosθ) where c is the canonical value of the speed of light. When θ = 0 this indicates the direction directly toward the observer. I.e., When θ = 0 this indicates the speed of light is infinite in the direction of the observer. The reason we’re using spherical coordinates is that when using the CST all events everywhere in the universe are observed in real time..."

From, "Relativity, Light Travel, and Space
Major Topics in Physics Handout
By Me

References: Jammer, Max, Concepts of Simultaneity: from Antiquity to Einstein, and Beyond, The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006; Salmon, W.C., The Philosophical significance of the one-way speed of light, Nous, pp. 253-292, 1977; Sarkar, S., and Statchel, J., Did Malament prove the non-conventionality of simultaneity in the Special Theory of Realtivity?, Philosophy of Science, 1999; Winnie, J.A., Special Relativity without one-way velocity assumptions Part I, Philosophy of Science, Vol. 37, 1970a; Winnie, J.A., Special Relativity without one-way velocity assumptions Part II, Philosophy of Science, Vol. 37, 1970b; Einstein, A., Lorentz, H.A., Minkowski, H., and Weyl, H, The Principle of Relativity: A Collection of Original Papers on the Special and General Theory of Relativity, Dover: New York, 1924; Edwards, W. F., Special Relativity in Anisotropic Space, American Journal of Physics; 31 (7): pp. 482–489, 1963; Giannoni, C., Relativistic Mechanics and Electrodynamics without One-Way Velocity Assumptions, Philosophy of Science, Vol. 45, 1978; Eddington, A., Space, Time, and Gravitation, Cambridge University Press, 1920. (This enlightening paper can also be retrieved from:
http://strangebeautiful.com/other-texts/eddington-space-time-grav.pdf ) ;

Reichenbach, H., The Philosophy of Space and Time, Dover: New York, 1958.

PM me if you would like more information on this very interesting topic. Hans Reichenbach was a student of Einstein.
I was mostly just teasing you. Yes, c can vary in the absolute value but it is always the speed of a photon since it's massless.

c is also a multi-vector as well as being a constant. So in many ways we all travel at c but it depends on which vector. At rest we are speeding through time at c.

Problem 1: With the formulas E = M*c2, and E = h/(λ*c), determine: a. the mass Mp, b. the volume V, and c. the density ρ of a photon, where h = 6.6X10-34 kg.m2.s-1, c = 3X108 m.s-1, and with a median λ = 550 nm.

So what did they decide on first. How long a meter is? How fast was the speed of light? How long a second was? Something had to come first.

I think George Washington did surveys in rods.

I think the meter came first, as defined by one 10 millionth of the distance between the equator and the poles. Everything else came from that, like 1 ml equal to a cubic centimeter. And a ml of water weighing a gram.

Of course those weren’t perfectly measured.

Interesting paper and I note a profound statement: "Mathematical triviality by no means implies physical equivalence,..." I have seen that stated similarly to say: "Mathematical gymnastics and their resulting equations does not infer physical reality."

One again I must remind everyone that the accepted or 'canonical' speed of light c is the "2-way" speed of light derived from the time a photon travels a total distance of length L from the photon source back to a detector, or c = L/t.

Last edited:
The committee has assigned a specific number for c. The speed of light is no longer up for debate. Since c also relates mass and energy, there are experimental ways to investigate the accuracy of the established value of c without measuring the speed of light. Any experiment which measures the speed of light is determining the length of a meter, since t and c are absolutely defined.

Well, a meter stick is what the Nuns used to instill discipline in me with. They gave it their best...

Our Nuns best effort at administering punishment was to send us bad boys over to the girls side of the play ground...

"oh please Sister, don't send me to the girls yard, he he he!!!

LarryMaryForever.jpg

You need to specify the location on earth. Light is "bent" by mass so the curvature and hence the "distance" it travels needs to be standardized, I would think.

Back