How long do automatic transmissions last?

I think you don't see too many 300K transmissions because it would take most people far too long to get there.

My Xterra has 392,000 on its original transmission - never been opened. But most of those miles are at interstate speeds with the converter locked up, so how hard is that on a transmission?

Some transmission designs are good, and some are not. Even the good ones come down to how you drive and maintenance - so if that is an unknown - your guess is as good as mine.
I agree. Where I live as soon as you get up to 45mph, you're stopping again for another red light

230k miles on the Toyota A750e 5 speed auto in my 2007 FJ Cruiser. Purchased the vehicle when it had 20k miles and switched it to Amsoil atf. I added an external spin-on filter back then too. I drain and refill every few years. It gets mostly local driving. No issues.

Too many variables to determine.
I religiously do pan drops on all my vehicles at 30K.
That interval was good enough to take the original transmission on a 2000 Taurus out to 275K, yet a transmission on a 1993 Chrysler died at 66K on that same interval.
The Taurus still shifted perfectly on the original transmission when I got rid of it at 275K. The Chrysler was rebuilt (under warranty) and was never correct. I traded it shortly thereafter.
That doesn't exactly answer the Toyota question, I know. However, it does make the point. Design, quality of components, and intervals of maintenance are all factors in the longevity of a transmission.
I had the same experience with a Chrysler minivan after Iaccocca went on tv and declared that they had fixed the tranny problems. Mine was well under 50k. The rebuilt trans never shifted right.

The Ford Crown Vics that used to compose the fleet of taxis at Dulles Airport would be gotten rid of around 400k. Most of these cabs were driver owned and they took good care of them. I would always ask the driver how many miles they had and would be surprised at the high numbers. Most told me they had 1 trans replacement. After they finished with them they would ggo to South America to be cabs down there.

297K on a A341E, the Lexus variant of the A340E/F and AW4 - it used PWM solenoid for pressure control during shifting hence why it called for Toyota T-II/IV fluids. It was fed OE Toyota or Castrol Transmax IMV fluids yearly.

Have 180K on a Sienna with the U151E, leaking from the side cover. 205K on a Prius hybrid drive unit - which there’s reports of a Torrington bearing failing in those at high mileage. If the Prii was used as a cab or Uber, the chances go up.

My SOP for any transmission - change the fluid every 30K. I did pan drops at 60K on a few cars.

Years ago the '86 Chevrolet Nova ( Corolla ) liftback with the 3 speed auto ( Mazda ? ) went over 260,000 miles . . Changed fluid around 33,000 mile intervals . Used Slick 50 for automatic transmissions and added every now and then . The 1.6 Ltr. gave out . Best car ever owned .

Years ago the '86 Chevrolet Nova ( Corolla ) liftback with 260,000+ miles on 3 speed auto . Changed fluid every around 33,000 mile intervals . Used Slick 50 for automatic transmissions and poured in every now an then . The 1.6 Ltr. gave out . Best car ever owned .
Not surprised--turned high rev's I bet, which wore the motor out, but the trans probably shifted very little. :)

All oils and tranny fluids were conventional . Mostly PENNZOIL 5w-30 for the engine . Near the end of the engine's life a PENNZOIL 10w-40 conventional and possibly PENNZOIL 15w-40 (?) as well .

3 things will help determine how long it lasts. 1 fluid changes. 2 only using the factory recommended fluid. 3 how it is driven.

Bought at 36k, changed cvt fluid before final sale. Changed again at 40k with Transmax CVT Fluid, found a ever so light seep at a later point and used BG CVT 303 additive with Transmax. Fluid been changed by myself or dealer every 10-15K. Last four changes been with Redline CVT/Hotshots Shift Restore.

Haven't had time to drop pan replace warmer filter,internal filter and pan gasket yet.

Attachments

• 20230808_103329.jpg
    20230808_103329.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 11
FWIW, I had a 2000 Tundra V8 4x4 that I put ~220K miles on it before selling. I had zero transmission or engine issues over that time except for cracked exhaust manifolds, which were probably my fault. I put that thing through hell and back, usually with a trailer. I understood that the early years had less reliable transmissions due to a thrust washer issue, but I didn't have any problems.

Back