How long can I store oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Originally Posted By: virginoil
5 years I recall was the recommended magic number for shelf life of oil.

That begs the question of what begins to happen to oil after 5 years.
21.gif

Ask the oil blender.

Last edited:

21.gif

NOTHING!

Stored in a cool dry place oil will last a LONG time much longer than most think I guess. I inherited an old stash from my uncle that was stored properly (no visable additive separation, no solids.) My Datsun, Alfa and lawnmower and loved the stuff over the last few years. I'm getting a UOA on the 240Z after a few more miles but no burning, noises, whatever. I post this picture every few months it feels like and people just dont believe that I use these oils , some of them from the 70s. I can't use them in my modern diesel car with a dpf but any gassers I have are getting it.

001-46.jpg

"That begs the question of what begins to happen to oil after 5 years. shrug

NOTHING!"

Jayg if that was so the 5 year period would not have been stated on Mobil's website.

I'm convinced that there is no merit to storing oils.

A year?
The pail you buy might have been sitting in a warehouse and then the store for longer than that.
In my personal experience, oil doesn't age much in a sealed container.
I wouldn't worry at all about taking a year to use up a five gallon pail.
The oldest oil I've used was probably pushing ten years.
No problems at all with it.

"That begs the question of what begins to happen to oil after 5 years. shrug

NOTHING!"

Jayg if that was so the 5 year period would not have been stated on Mobil's website.

I'm convinced that there is no merit to storing oils.

Mobil's job is to sell you oil. I'll use my stuff up over the next 10 years with no worries, thank you very much.

You can Definately see the additive pack "Fallout" in the old clear SuperTech Full Syn oils. Its a light brown colored add pack, that settles in the bottom(of course) of the bottle and does dissapate when shaken. Not many other oils you can see this happen to without opening them.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Properly stored, oil will last a very long time.

Here is a UOA from here using 25 year old oil!: 1985 10w40 UOA

I plan on doing a UOA on the 40 year old oil that is in my 240Z next spring for fun.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
What is the shelf life if you open and use just a qt. from a 4 qt. container?

Now that is where I would limit it to a few years. Condensation and other contaminents could have compromised the oil if it was sealed properly.

Sealed in a cool, dry, place? It should be fine as long as the integrity of the container is the fine. (IE not leaky cardboard cans)

Originally Posted By: jayg

21.gif

NOTHING!

Stored in a cool dry place oil will last a LONG time much longer than most think I guess. I inherited an old stash from my uncle that was stored properly (no visable additive separation, no solids.) My Datsun, Alfa and lawnmower and loved the stuff over the last few years. I'm getting a UOA on the 240Z after a few more miles but no burning, noises, whatever. I post this picture every few months it feels like and people just dont believe that I use these oils , some of them from the 70s. I can't use them in my modern diesel car with a dpf but any gassers I have are getting it.

001-46.jpg

30, 40, 50 years.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Left is Valvoline Transmission fluid,
Center is Valvoline,
Right is Havoline from 07/1978

The Valvoline is unknown since there is no date.

P1000005.JPG

P1000007.JPG

P1000006.JPG

if you are buying 5qt jugs or smaller, why worry about it? pour it in, 30 sec of the engine running its mixed. assuming most engines these days will hold 5 qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back