How far can an infrequent rider go on a ride?

I'm down in Florida until Friday after selling my car, so the only thing I have to get around with is an older single speed my mother rode. How far can I attempt to ride when I haven't ridden in 7 months? Supermarket 2.5 miles no problem. Beach is 6 miles. Getting there OK, making it back a stretch?

I find my first failure point after being off the bike for a while is my sit bones. On that basis, I would say speed is an important variable, as it will determine what 6 miles equates to in terms of saddle time.

With that said, I wouldn't worry about a 12 mile round trip, although the return leg might be a little less comfortable than the first.

I'm down in Florida until Friday after selling my car, so the only thing I have to get around with is an older single speed my mother rode. How far can I attempt to ride when I haven't ridden in 7 months? Supermarket 2.5 miles no problem. Beach is 6 miles. Getting there OK, making it back a stretch?
Depends on the rider. If you rode 10 miles and had a breakdown like a flat tire, what would you do to get back home? Call a cab or walk it back? How long would it take you to ride back and what about bad weather like rain?

Don't think I would go 10 miles out just yet, maybe 6. 2 hour walk back would be manageable. It's 82 degrees so a little rain would be fine.

Lots of variables here. What was your fitness level 7 months ago? Is it hilly? Headwind or tailwind? Speed? Sometimes I have an off day where I'm pedaling squares. Ride 30 miles out into a headwind, then the wind turns around and I have to dog it all the way home into the headwind again. I don't like when that happens.

Make a few short reconnaissance runs to gauge your range. Unless you mother was some kind of velodrome track champion that single speed of hers is likely a heavy, slow pig. Not only will you have to grind to get yourself moving from a stop, you will be limited on top speed once you get rolling.

Make a grocery run. You said that's a 5 mile round trip. A 12 mile round trip to the beach? I assume that would be a flat ride. I think most people in decent physical shape could do that. How old are you? How fit are you? On a contemporary bike, lightweight and with gears - and one that fits you!!! - I think 12 miles would be very doable. But I suspect your Mom's bike is going to be a bigger issue than your own ability.

I ride 150 miles per week. But on some heavy 40 pound single speed that didn't fit me I wouldn't want to be on it for even 5 miles.

Scott

Depends on you. If you ride out until you're getting tired the return trip won't be fun. Your butt will hurt riding 12 miles and nothing you can do about it. How tough are you?

Get the seat up high enough so when you're sitting and the crank arm is down and parallel with the seat tube and your heel is on the pedal your leg is straight. This is close to an efficient pedal stroke. Don't ride like a circus clown. Air the tires up pretty firm.

Lots of variables here. What was your fitness level 7 months ago? Is it hilly? Headwind or tailwind? Speed? Sometimes I have an off day where I'm pedaling squares. Ride 30 miles out into a headwind, then the wind turns around and I have to dog it all the way home into the headwind again. I don't like when that happens.
I'd say same fitness level, don't exercise but generally active. No hills in Florida, at least around here. No significant wind. I'd guess maybe 12 mph.

Depends on the rider. If you rode 10 miles and had a breakdown like a flat tire, what would you do to get back home? Call a cab or walk it back? How long would it take you to ride back and what about bad weather like rain?
I was a rider.
Several 19 pound bikes
And a track bike. No speeds no brakes.
Long riders carry tools pump and tubes
And know how to use them.
Flats happen
As he said.. how would you get home. People to call..Can you afford a cab?
10 mile walk with a bike

I thought being laughed at for riding a girls bike would be the bigger issue.
If it's a "girl's bike", it's going to be a heavy, slow beast. Fast women do not ride "girl's bikes", they ride "men's bikes" with regular style top tubes. A "girl's bike" is a relic of the past. My 6 year old grand daughter rides a "man's bike", it's just that it's pink. Seriously, the days of those curved top tubes have been gone for a very long gone. I bet your Mom's bike is going to weigh 50 pounds.

That said, make a grocery run on it. Enjoy it and do it with a smile. Have fun, enjoy the moment. I think you can make it 5 miles.

Scott

PS What are you going to do if you get a flat?

Last edited:

Attachments

• 3C0E3B75-B086-4C6E-833C-C17DC985967A.jpeg
    3C0E3B75-B086-4C6E-833C-C17DC985967A.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 34
How old are you?

Assuming you take a nice break while at the beach, I don't see the return 6 miles being much of a problem unless you've never ridden a bike before.

Can you rent a scooter? :)
Not eligible for Medicare but well past my prime. I could rent a car if I wanted to, but when the plane ticket back is $43 it doesn't seem right.:) Yea I'm cheap that way.

Not eligible for Medicare but well past my prime. I could rent a car if I wanted to, but when the plane ticket back is $43 it doesn't seem right.:) Yea I'm cheap that way.
I always assumed you were much younger. If it's impossible to adjust the bike to fit you (saddle height), you are going to risk messing up your knees.

Scott

All depends on the individual and what they are riding and where they are riding.

For a cruiser style bike, hopefully you don't have hills to climb, since the weight of the bike, wheels, and gearing all work against you.

I have found that I can go much farther on the first day of biking than I can go on the second day. Once I cool down, then sleep, for some reason I am rather sore the following day. Similarly, if I'm on a long ride and stop for a break, it can be torture to get back on and get going again... Point being, it's probably trivial to go that distance. Once. Making it back might be different.

Won't know until you try (and fail).

That said, can you get a taxi or whatever?

I could rent a car if I wanted to, but when the plane ticket back is $43 it doesn't seem right.:) Yea I'm cheap that way.
Think of it this way: you've saved money on airfare, so now you have money to rent a car. How often do you get to cruise by the beach in a convertible Mustang? :)

Exercise is good for you. I'd get a better used bike somewhere. Especially since you're not paying car expenses anymore.

Back