How do you rank your oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that NOACK volatility and VII have a positive correlation.
So which would you rather have: more VI or a lower NOACK rating?
Which is more relevant in a daily driver that sees occasional track duty?

IMHO, VI is more important in a daily driver and HTHS viscosity in an oil used for track duty. I would not use the same oil for daily driver and track duty.

I think lower volatility in a round about way has a positive correlation with higher class base oil and hotter flash point temp.

IOW dino oil is more volatile than synthetic is.

Originally Posted By: jorton
I think lower volatility in a round about way has a positive correlation with higher class base oil and hotter flash point temp.

IOW dino oil is more volatile than synthetic is.

I definitely agree, NOACK Volatility is the first stat I look at then FP, then MRV or CCS if available. VI is great but if it is all fake (chemical garbage) I really don't find it that appealing.

Disclaimer: As you see in my sig, price and discount play a big part in my purchase decisions too;) (I got all of these on sale and rebates just got a really nice NFL football from Castrol) I don't live in a frozen tundra or race so some of these specs are just nice. It is the total package that counts.

Last edited:
In a daily driver that sees occasional track duty, HTHS is first thing I look at, then shear stability, then NOACK, then VI. The oil has to be picked to withstand the worst-case usage, even if worst case is only reached 5% of the time. There is a slight fuel economy penalty to be paid from running a ~20% higher HTHS, but it's money well spent if it saves you from a $5000 engine replacement.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
In a daily driver that sees occasional track duty, HTHS is first thing I look at, then shear stability, then NOACK, then VI. The oil has to be picked to withstand the worst-case usage, even if worst case is only reached 5% of the time. There is a slight fuel economy penalty to be paid from running a ~20% higher HTHS, but it's money well spent if it saves you from a $5000 engine replacement.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

There are some folks on this board who praise the new Toyota 0w20 for its high VI content, but more VI just means more shear.

That's not to say the Toyota product is bad. I'm still on the fence as to whether I should run xw-30 or xw-20 in my Mod motor. So far I'm seeing higher iron and aluminum counts with the xw-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back