How dark should the oil get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question but how dark should I allow oil to get between
oil changes. For those of you that do extended OCIs does you oil stay clear looking the whole time? Should I be worried when it gets very dark or black 2k after the change?

durablend 10w-30 is nice dark golden honey flavour right now. after 5,000 miles and towing a trailer the last 500km.

Irrelevant for the most part. Oils darken for a variety of reasons, not necessarily because of dirt or the oil being used up...

The Ford Dealer told me recently [was talking to the guy working on the car] it should be a dark amber color coming out when changing the oil..For Ford that means around 5k miles..I know some people here go 10k miles with Mobil 1 and their oil also is a dark amber color.

Though color means nothing to alot of people here if I see the oil jet black I would be very worried.

For those who switch over to synthetic see their oil turn dark pretty fast. This happened to my Tacoma at 9K when i ran Mobil One for the first time....after that it pretty much says some what clean on 5K change itervals. If your really worried about it get a uoa done.

Actually, I WOULD wonder if an oil turned black in 2,000 miles, with a fairly modern engine.
If it were mine, I'd find out why.

I think one needs to be observant when talking about oil color. If your looking at a thick stream or into the drain bucket it may look coal black. Take the dip stick and wipe it on a clean white paper and it may look light brown. Sludged engine oil may look clean after 1000s of mies because all the black stuff stays in the engine. +1 ZZman

My Super Coupe turns oil black by 1500 miles. I'm not too worried about it, means the oil is doing it's job. It doesn't mean the oil is worn out. I think my car darkens it quickly because under boost is probably has a lot of blow-by.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
The Ford Dealer told me recently [was talking to the guy working on the car] it should be a dark amber color coming out when changing the oil..For Ford that means around 5k miles..I know some people here go 10k miles with Mobil 1 and their oil also is a dark amber color.

Though color means nothing to alot of people here if I see the oil jet black I would be very worried.

+1 Since we are talking about gas engines, jet black oil would concern me too. Diesel engines are another story.

AD

Different engines darken/blacken oil at different rates.
Diesels have been mentioned; but some Chrysler engines darken oil pretty quick from my experience.
As has also been said, the first oil change after a switch to synthetic is also quit dark/black.
Let experience be your guide.
An oil change at say 3000 or so miles should be a general indication if your engine is a quick darkener(?).

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Dumb question but how dark should I allow oil to get between
oil changes. For those of you that do extended OCIs does you oil stay clear looking the whole time? Should I be worried when it gets very dark or black 2k after the change?
Oil colour is not a good indicator of condition. I have two UOA's, one where the oil was golden brown on the dipstick and the additive package was spent and one where the oil was black like diesel engine oil and the oil was suitable for continued use.

UOA is the only way to tell how your oil is faring...
wink.gif

BTW: A question asked is not dumb, a question not-asked is dumb. We all learn from somewhere...

There just has to be a way to determine whether oil is good or not. What if you didn't put a reminder sticker on windshield or just acquired a new car or if your taking care of someone else's ride and they dont remember the last oil change.

If you cant tell by color, then maybe a drop on a white paper towel will tell you if alot of matter is suspended in the oil. Or how about smell, there just has to be a way to determine if the oil is good to go or needs to be drained.

I always thought color = condition, since I dont write my mileage on the windshield or keep it in a log I thought I could just 'feel' my way through to the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
There just has to be a way to determine whether oil is good or not. If you cant tell by color, then maybe a drop on a white paper towel will tell you if alot of matter is suspended in the oil. Or how about smell, there just has to be a way to determine if the oil is good to go or needs to be drained.

Its called oil analysis. Once your car is broken in, establish a regular change interval for the type of driving you do and the specific oil you use. Have the oil tested after a couple of changes. If the additive isn't depleated, the wear metals are normal, and there is no evidence of fuel dilution, you can either keep changing it at that interval, or let it go a little longer between changes. After a few analyses, you can lay off the analyses and do one every 3rd or 4th change.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

10-4 to every thing you said. I've done 10,000 mile OCI for 31 years with M1 oils and my engines stay very clean and the oil just gets dark amber at the OC. If my oil got black I would know something is a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back