How accurate is the guage cluster mpg meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set the cruise at 60 mph (the legal speed limit here), reset the meter and almost got it to read 40 mpg! The best I ever got it to read prior was 33 mpg. I almost got run over by all the idiots doing 15+ over...

06 Altima 2.5 S 4 speed auto
Changed oil, plugs and air filter about 1k miles ago.

10a0b423.jpg

I have often wondered that also. Unsure how they calculate it. On a boat they have a flow meter, but do not believe they have one in a car. Thus my guess is they get info on what % of say a 10 second sample interval the fuel injectors were on, they average the MPH for the 10 seconds and they have as a fixed number the ounces of fuel the injectors would put out if they were on for a full 10 seconds. If they have that info they can calculate MPG.

Yeah I do that too when I drive my mothers navigator, it will read 19 mpg highway makes me feel better.

Last time I asked her millage she said 8.6 based on full tank and actuall miles driven. The car mpg computer read 11.1

It's a continuous average.

Only 40? That's nothing. I can easily get 99, the highest it will display on my 4.7 Dakota. Of course I'm going downhill at the time.

I routinely check my mileage and it's usually almost dead on with the computer.

The computer calculates based on the injector pulse width and vehicle speed. I bet it can do it a lot faster than every 10 second.

I drove a Prius as a rental, and wow, did I have some fun with that thing, tail gating behind semis down hill, I got some crazy MPG read-outs - it made for a fun and entertaining trip....and let me tell ya, it kept me AWAKE....
smile.gif

My mpg readout is pretty consistent in being ~10% higher, and the gallons used about 10% lower, than I get by the calculation method.

When I gas up, I check the gallons used readout, add 10%, multiply that by the price per gallon (not forgetting that .9 cent), and round up to the next $5.00 increment. That's how much I hand the clerk, and I always get change back.

The ECU calculates MPG using its commanded fuel injector duty cycle and the flow rate of the injectors. I'm not sure if it compensates based on closed-loop fuel adjustment; that may be a source of error.

My 2002 Maxima was of by 4 MPG when I clocked it on a 1200 mile roadtrip. My 1996 corvette was only off by about 1/2 MPG

The X3 and the Mazdaspeed have digital average mpg readouts and in both cases I have found my calculated mpg to consistently average about 3% lower than the mpg readout's number.

The MPG indicators on our ChryCo minivans weren't all that close. They over-estimated fuel economy by a good bit. The '03 was closer than the '07 was (to actual), but they were both off by at least 5%. The MPG indicator in our MDX is always extremely close to measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back