Hot Rod Camry

With a strut bar yes !
HEY!
SE and XSE models add the front strut bar to keep you grounded to the ground 😂
It was also available as a TRD accessory 😭
But I'm not one to talk, I bought the last TRD rear sway bar in the country for my Camry, the parts manager at my Toyota parts counter wanted to throw me out 😅
Took 2 weeks for them to dredge it from the SFO parts hub 💀

No way. On Camry? If that was THAT simple, we wouldn’t need Porsche 911, M3 etc.
To have a use of polyurethane bushings you need suspension and chassis that can sustain that. Otherwise your first bump will have you chasing car to control it. Toyota put on Sienna RFT and didn’t change suspension. I would rather take cross country trip in my BMW with suspension that has polyurethane bushings, Bilstein B6 shocks etc. than that Sienna.
You really need BIG investment to make it a contender. And then, engine sits far front, even battery is in front of axle.

It is really, really bad vehicle to do anything like that. It has its purpose. That is why these cars are far more expensive to modify than BMW, Miata, Subaru STi etc.
I recall my Audi 100 have the entire drivetrain in front of the front wheels - that thing ws going straight in a hustle no matter what. I did like the inboard front disc brakes next to the transaxle. Silly low unsprung mass in the front gave a creamy ride and control.

Many unitchassis are same same - though some have higher resonance and lower Q than others.

BMW typ employs Mac struts up front. Could always feel that compromise compared to a proper sports car ULCA setup.

I owned an M for a while until the motor decided it was done in after a couple weeks.

E36-E46-Z3-Z4-front-suspension-single-pivot-layout-diagram-w900.jpg

I recall my Audi 100 have the entire drivetrain in front of the front wheels - that thing ws going straight in a hustle no matter what. I did like the inboard front disc brakes next to the transaxle. Silly low unsprung mass in the front gave a creamy ride and control.

Many unitchassis are same same - though some have higher resonance and lower Q than others.

BMW typ employs Mac struts up front. Could always feel that compromise compared to a proper sports car ULCA setup.

I owned an M for a while until the motor decided it was done in after a couple weeks.

View attachment 145786
Yes, it is THAT simple.
I say, throw $1000, and bet money against 2009 325i without any modifications.

The discussion appears to have ranged a little far from the original question.

Shel, in the search results you posted, I noticed a couple links to Toyota-specific forums. Maybe they could answer your question with specific experience about what works on a Camry.

As a temporary measure on steep grades, turning off the A/C could give you a little more oomph. A/C has a noticeable penalty on the 4-cylinder Toyotas I have driven.

My experience with tuners is probably not comparable--a 2001 V8 Silverado and a Hypertech tuner that reflashes the programming and then gets disconnected. I don't know whether it "makes more" power or just makes more of what is there available, but it does make a significant difference, especially with response in the lower part of the RPM range. Unfortunately, the truck has always had what I consider an abnormal ping, and with tuning, no matter the level or the fuel, it rattles like a diesel when I put my foot into it. Now I just use the Hypertech to correct tire size and firm up the shifts.

It doesn't seem to be the case with your Camry, but with stock tuning, my truck actually reacts to higher octane. This is confirmed with both the butt dyno and Torque, which shows less knock retard on mid-grade and even less on premium.

Actually the real claim to fame for Toyota is how many of them you see in a war zone. A lot of the bad guys were rolling in them over in the Middle East with not a care in the world. But they were sure confident in Japanese vehicles.
I remember a show on PBS where a reporter somehow got embedded with the Taliban in the early years after 9/11. Footage showed Toyota pickups crawling up rugged mountain passes. One Talibaner proclaimed "Good truck for holy war!"

Last edited:
Back