Honda V6 VCM Oil Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 2011 CPO Honda Accord Crosstour AWD with the 3.5L V6 motor (16k miles). I believe it’s the J35Z2 motor. Looking at the service history it looks like the car got oil changes according the OLI, not at the dealer (or at least they didn’t stamp the book). With all the problems people have with the VCM system I am concerned about oil consumption in the future and want to make sure I am out ahead of problems. The internet suggests changing oil early and with a good synthetic to help avoid problems.

The car currently has about 2600 miles on it since I picked it up and the OLI is at 70%. It was a fresh oil change from the dealer when I got it. Since Honda dealers offer a simi synthetic oil change and a fully synthetic change, I am guessing they went with the simi synthetic change to save on costs. I drive probably about 85% in town, my commute is about 15 min, with smaller trips on the way to and from several times a week. I am in Nebraska so I see wide fluxuations in temps.

My thoughts after reading around are to go with (0W-20) PP or M1 (leaning to PP). Both are on sale right now at AA with Bosch filters. I am thinking I will change this initial oil at maybe 3500-4000 miles definitely before winter. After that what is the recommended change interval to avoid VCM problems?
Thoughts on choice of oil, drain interval, or filter choice?

Last edited:
If you read the threads here, then I'm sure you already have the answer to all of your questions above. Plenty of quality filters to choose from, along with syn oil recommendations and drain intervals. Read the oil filter forum. The only thing you are going to get now is a bunch of opinions. Sound like your initial thought/plan is a good one.

I've been pondering the same question lately, as our new Ody is at 70% on the FF right now. Ours has the same engine as your Crosstour, and as I understand it the VCM, if it is operating for a majority of the time the vehicle is running, causes one cylinder head to cool in comparison to the other one that is doing all of the work.

This cooling causes the oil to drop in temp on that side and then it doesn't protect as well as if it was at operating temp. This can lead to varnishing, possible sludging, and in one Pilot's case, it ate the cams on that head.

I will likely be going with Beck/Arnley filters from Rock Auto, as they appear to be the same as the Honda A01 or A02 ones, and a good full syn 0W-20. Haven't decided which one that will be yet, but my criteria for choosing one is a higher Viscosity Index and one I can easily find. So far, Service Pro from my local distributor is the front runner. I plan on not going over 7500 miles for the OCI, no matter what the MM says.

Last edited:
For my new 2012 V6 Accord EX-L I followed Hondas recommendation on leaving in the factory fill till the OLM says 15% or less. That came out to just shy of 8,000 miles and it did not burn a drop of oil. I now use Mobile-1 0w20 at 5,000 mile oil changes and it never burns oil at all. I'll be posting another UOA soon and so far it shows low wear across the board.
I think Honda has the bugs worked out on the latest VCM engines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I've been pondering the same question lately, as our new Ody is at 70% on the FF right now. Ours has the same engine as your Crosstour, and as I understand it the VCM, if it is operating for a majority of the time the vehicle is running, causes one cylinder head to cool in comparison to the other one that is doing all of the work.

This cooling causes the oil to drop in temp on that side and then it doesn't protect as well as if it was at operating temp. This can lead to varnishing, possible sludging, and in one Pilot's case, it ate the cams on that head.

I will likely be going with Beck/Arnley filters from Rock Auto, as they appear to be the same as the Honda A01 or A02 ones, and a good full syn 0W-20. Haven't decided which one that will be yet, but my criteria for choosing one is a higher Viscosity Index and one I can easily find. So far, Service Pro from my local distributor is the front runner. I plan on not going over 7500 miles for the OCI, no matter what the MM says.

Good suggestion on those filters. It looks like they are well liked and a bit cheaper. With shipping they will run me $5.39 and the OEM filters at my dealer are $7.50 so I might pick up a couple.

My math was bad on the Beck/Arnley filters. I ended up getting them for $6.15 each after shipping by buying 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back