Honda Rancher ATV runnability problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for a neighbor. We've been trying to diagnose and fix a runnability issue with his 2004 Rancher 4 wheeler with 88 hours.

It runs fairly normal when choked. When we let off the choke, it surges and nearly dies/surges and nearly dies...over and over. Rev it full throttle and nothing really happens. Keep it full throttle and pull up on the choke and it revs really loud. Also, it's backfiring quite a bit - more than anything I've ever heard. He rode it with the choke pulled up and it went around the neighborhood pretty normally. He let off the choke and barely could go at all. Surge, stop, surge, stop, etc.

He thinks he has a gummed up jet in the carb, so he's put Seafoam in it as of this afternoon. I'm wondering if it's a dirty jet or if the carb needs adjusted.

Any ideas? I'm no mechanic and I don't know much about ATVs. My advice to him was - if the Seafoam doesn't fix it - is to take off the card and take it to the dealer for a cleaning/rebuild/adjustment.

He's pretty fed up with it. I'm thinking whatever the issue is, it's not far from being right.

If it is a carb model I would guess that something is gummed up inside. Seafoam will probably not have any effect. Take the carb off an clean/rebuild it.

My wife has an '03. We use it for recreation, yard work, and wood hauling, so it sees more use than your neighbors. Still, I have to clean the carb every few years. I'd wager $$$ that the carb on his is gummed up.

They are not too hard to remove. You may need to buy the $26 +/- rebuild kit that includes a new float bowl O ring. The factory one will probably split when you pull it off. It takes me about 1/2 hour to clean. Don't forget to unscrew the main jet and clean it well.

The other option is top have him drop it off.

Good luck

Ethanol is hard on carbs also. try to use ethanol free gas if you can after a total rebuild of carb.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Picked up some non ethanol gas and Seafoam this week as we prepare to put machines to bed for the winter.

Have the valves ever been adjusted? Great time to get to it is during winter storage. Probably needs it and I've seen out of adjustment valves act in a similar fashion to what you described.

Its the carb. You have to treat the gas now days. It clogs the jets so fast. I am sure if he pulls the carb off and cleans the jets it will be fine. I am not familiar with the Honda carbs, but I am sure they are close to the Polaris four stroke carbs and it doesn't take much. Then treat the gas. I have found Sea Foam works the best. Read the side directions. It stabilizes gas for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back