Honda manual transmission/ Fuel Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the most fuel efficient fluid that can be used in a Honda manual transmission? Is the fluid trivial in respect to fuel efficiency? I am deciding between Honda MTF, Redline, and Amsoil...thanks

Well, any extra drag created in the transmission is basically horsepower lost to friction. So yes, fluids can make a difference.

I've used Idemitsu, NA Honda factory MTF (purportedly by Exxon-Mobil) and Amsoil MTF, to me the fuel economy difference is nil.

tire pressure, when to shift optimally, reduce unnecessary acceleration/stop/go should have a more pronounced impact on your vehicles overall fuel economy, not just by switching MTF on the transmission.

Q.

I understand that my Honda is an experiment of one but I've always use Red Line since a rebuild. I used regular engine oil as specified up to about 200K and replaced the bearings and seals. For the next 221K miles I've used Red Line and the bearings and gears are as quiet as a new transmission. The original rebuild was done because of bearing noise, the gears and syncros were like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back