Which RTV for manual transmission case?

Rebuilt a Honda transmission and ready to put case back together. It uses Honda manual transmission fluid. I have Permatex Gear Oil gasket maker and Optimum Max Flex gasket maker. None of them mention manual transmission fluid usage. Can I use either, or should I wait until tomorrow and pick up some Hondabond?

Pg 17-20: https://threebond.com/wp-content/uploads/Products-Guide_ver6-LOCAL.pdf

The friction modifiers in driveline fluids can be very "hard" on certain RTV chemistries - which is why OEM's specify a different RTV for gear oil and ATF applications. Probably best to use what Honda specifies; the exact Threebond part # can often be found in Honda's SDS. If you have to put it back together today I would probably use the Permatex ATF RTV?

I used GM sealant for manual trans cases and it was better that having a glob of RTV getting in the synchronizers. 1052357 was the part number….

I used GM sealant for manual trans cases and it was better that having a glob of RTV getting in the synchronizers. 1052357 was the part number….
I suppose that depends on the design of the transaxle case. The main issue with using anaerobic in place of RTV is gap fill. Anaerobic's gap fill capabilities are minimal compared to RTV. If Honda did not machine the case fine enough, the additional gap provided by RTV may be necessary for proper sealing.

Back