Honda (Honeywell) filter question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Changed the oil on my Mom's Honda today (2002 Accord 4cyl). She last had it done at the stealership. I noticed that the Honda oil filter (made by Honeywell (which is Fram, right)) had an orange coloured ADBV. Is the orange colour indicative of a nitrile material, or is it just orange coloured rubber.

Just wondering because the only FRAM I know of with an orange coloured ADBV is the Xtended (long life, sythetic etc etc - the only well made FRAM). Is it possible Fram is making the Honda filters with nitrile at Honda's request?

Ooops...got it backwards..that's what I meant - orange silicon, black nitrile. The rest is still the same...all cheaper Frams I've seen have black (nitrile) except the top of the line Fram (Xtended guard) which is orange (silicone).

The Honda filter I took off was made by Honeywell but had an orange ADBV. So I can assume that the Honda filter is not just a Fram painted blue? It's a Fram painted blue with a silicone ADBV?

Some have said that it is very similar to the Toughguard, which is a step up from the orange can, and it has a silicone adbv too.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
They have two filters, The A01 made by Filtec (supposedly a great filter) and the A02 which is the Fram. Maybe you got the Filtec.

I had that thought, so checked the filter and it has Honeywell printed right on it.

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Some have said that it is very similar to the Toughguard, which is a step up from the orange can, and it has a silicone adbv too.

Oh, didn't realize the Toughguard had silcone as well. Maybe that's what they are painting blue and stamping as Honda.

Quote:
Oh, didn't realize the Toughguard had silcone as well. Maybe that's what they are painting blue and stamping as Honda.
While they are similar, they are not the same. Similar in that they both have a silicone adbv, different in that the TG has a screen over the bypass and is rated at ~99% efficient. The A-02 lists no rating, but one would think it better than an orange can and closer to the TG.

I have a question. Not trying to start a war, just trying to get a little perspective.

Champion Laboratories makes the filters for K&N, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. These are generally accepted as high-quality. They also make the e-Core, which many people consider low-end.

Honeywell makes the A02 for Honda. They also make the OCOD. Given what is true about Champ Labs (above), why is the Honda A02 considered so inferior just because it's made by the same company that makes FRAMs?. Can't Honeywell make high-quality filters for others just like Champ does?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Can't Honeywell make high-quality filters for others just like Champ does?

Sure they could ... they will make anything a car company will specify and pay for.

Champion Labs makes some cheap stuff too - Ecores.
wink.gif

If I could get them cheap, I would have no problem running the Honda OEM Honeywell filter (A02) on our Honda. I would run the OEM Filtech (A01) filter anyday! I have never seen one that has "failed", and if it did, I would think Honda would have a hard time pointing the finger since the filter has their name on it.

Quote:
Can't Honeywell make high-quality filters for others just like Champ does?
Not can they, they do, it's called the Xtended Guard. IMO, the A-02 doesn't fit with the XG, it's serviceable, but other than the silicone adbv nothing special. Unless you just like OEM filters and/or fiber endcaps, can't see why one would go out their way to get one. Especially with the P1 going for as low as $3 with AAP codes.
21.gif

One other difference between the A-02 and TG, is the A-02 uses a P shaped gasket, which some prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back