Honda ATF-Z1, 2002 Honda Odyssey, 10,430 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a 99 Odessey that we bought new. Every year after the hot summer months I would replace 3 quarts of transmission fluid. But still, around 85k miles it started acting up and Honda gave us a brand new one under the extended warrenty. Now I'm going to replace 3 quarts every six months.

Jared, good info and appreciate the insight from your experience. I assume you are a Honda trained tech or work for Honda is some capacity to post that detailed info.

I would like to see Specialty Formulations build an ATF for this application.

I MAY experiment with some Synergyn racing ATF we have left over, in a 4 cyl 2000 Civic with about 78000 miles on the clock. It has been on a Auto-RX 3 ounce treatment to smooth the shift out a bit, and preclean, and has done so quite nicely.

We need more AT oil analysis posted here to bring the data base up to speed. I know theres more out there because many of you have used our services to interpret them. Please post them if able.

Terry

[ January 11, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Terry ... I'm just a car buff ... I have taken a Honda (factory approved) automatic transmission course within the last 18mo for fun (4hr college course) ... there are only a handful of these programs around the nation. I was fortunate IMO to have been able to do so.

-Cya JHH

Quote:

nother facet of inerest in all V6 equipped Honda automatics is a low hold clutch pack. If you put your Honda automatic in L1/D1, (which ever it is) ie manually select 1st gear, a second clutch pack engages doubling the normal torque holding capacity of of the transmission in 1st gear. This low hold clutch pack will never engage other wise. It can be helpful in preventing transmission slippage when pulling a heavy load in 1st. This auxilary/low hold clutch pack disengages in all other gears and is not present on any of the 4 cylinder s.

-----------------------------------------------

Jared, I think this is what is shown in my Integra's Helm manual too. I think this is also how the B18 auto tranny works, not just the V6 tranny.

Anyhow, thanks for the info on the clutch pack material. Do you know what material it is and what kind of additive Honda uses in their ATF that other ATF doesn't have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back