Honda A01 cut open w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again.
Quote:
....And as my previous quote shows, my reply was clearly directed to another poster.

Clearly dishdude in this case. To each their own is correct, As is commentary and discussion of oci's posted in thead. If one has read this board for any period of time many posters other than myself have commented on short oci's posted with oil filter dissections, especially with synthetic use.

As this is also synthetic on a car with a MM, those are other factors well open for discussion.

This board and forum hopefully tries to deal with discussion beyond anecdotes and opinions to quantifiable data. Just as there is empirical data/evidence for using a filter for two oci's, there is also empirical data to show the benefits of using oil for longer than 3k oci's in the majority of instances. See any of DNewtons multiple posts on the topic, and Bitog front page.

There's a difference between posting an opinion without scientific basis (1 filter per oci) and posting a comment based on scientific evidence. That's what the discussion of oci here is about. And a couple of posts suggesting use of mineral oil if for whatever reason 3k is your limit, makes much sense in so many ways.

All that said, the length in time of the OP's oci, not given, would also be relevant.

mineral oil: an oil of mineral origin; especially : a refined petroleum oil used especially as a laxative

Someone actually uses mineral oil for a 3K mile OCI?
confused2.gif

Good looking filter. If you're doing the 3k over a year the OCI seems reasonable. If it's 3k in 3-4 months you could certainly extend it.

My subaru gets a lot of short tripping. Probably 70% of it's OCI is spent never getting to operating temp. I do two oil changes a year, which works out to about 6-7k between oil changes.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Whats the point of going on Bitog to learn things if your not going use the information?

I have learned a lot from BITOG.
thumbsup2.gif

But, if someone WANTS to change their oil at 3K miles, who are we to deny them of that? If someoneone WANTS to use an oil filter for 2 or more OCIs, who are we to deny them of that? (Even though I will NEVER do that!)
21.gif

This is a discussion forum. When you start a thread or post a response you should expect for it to be discussed. What you do with that information is totally up to you.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This is a discussion forum. When you start a thread or post a response you should expect for it to be discussed. What you do with that information is totally up to you.

thumbsup2.gif

I just don't understand whats the point of wasting your time reading posts on here, and wasting other peoples time asking questions if your just going to under use your oil and filter anyways following some old 3k oci rule.
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I read through every post in this thread and didn't see one poster able to stop anyone from doing anything as regards their oci.

What I do see is a discussion of the length of a posted oci, in this specific case a 3k mi. synthetic oil oci. And this discussion is not unlike a similar discussion about this topic with very similar thoughts that can be read on other boards here.

As for mineral oil, a simple google (eg. synthetic vs mineral oil) search, will reveal that mineral oil to be a very common term for conventional motor oil.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I read through every post in this thread and didn't see one poster able to stop anyone from doing anything as regards their oci.

What I do see is a discussion of the length of a posted oci, in this specific case a 3k mi. synthetic oil oci. And this discussion is not unlike a similar discussion about this topic with very similar thoughts that can be read on other boards here.

As for mineral oil, a simple google (eg. synthetic vs mineral oil) search, will reveal that mineral oil to be a very common term for conventional motor oil.

Webster's dictionary states this;
Medical Definition of MINERAL OIL

: a liquid product of mineral origin that has the viscosity of an oil

: a transparent oily liquid obtained usually by distilling petroleum and used chiefly in medicine for treating constipation and especially formerly as a demulcent and solvent for nose and throat medication—called also liquid petrolatum, white mineral oil

Definition of MINERAL OIL

: an oil of mineral origin; especially : a refined petroleum oil used especially as a laxative

I agree synthetic oil is good for way more than 3000 miles, I also agree dino is good for more than 3000 miles. I do not agree that fuel diluted oil synthetic or dino is good for much longer than 3000 miles. Im not going to go out of my way every week to take it on the highway to burn off the fuel. Again, the money I save on gas from NOT doing that will easily pay to just buy more oil and change it out. And I buy synthetic over dino because its cleaner and flows better at start up. Sure I could change twice, or even once a year...But, again, I need this car to last me another 60,000 miles. The short trips are NOT helping me achieve that, so having fresh oil in the sump will.

Last edited:
Quote:
..... Sure I could change twice, or even once a year..

That answers the only other question I had here. You are changing it more than twice a year which means you must be easily be putting on more than 6k a year on the vehicle. It also means you are completely ignoring the Honda MM on your Accord no matter the oil type. My guess is the MM isn't even hitting 60% per oci. Not to mention the 1 year max.

It's a paradox to me that one would think Honda makes the best filter(01) to use because it's oem, but they know nothing about the MM or oci (or even close) for this vehicle.

chubbs had it pegged a long time ago. Done here.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
And I buy synthetic over dino because its cleaner and flows better at start up.

In Florida, I doubt you need the flowability of a full synthetic motor oil. What do you mean by it's "cleaner"? Conventional oils (ie, Mobil Super 5000) can keep the engine just as clean, especially if only used for 3K miles.

Guys, really, I dont judge you for what you use...so why the big issue with what I use. Synthetic is at MOST $10 more per 5 quart jug. I dont mind spending an extra $10 every 3 months for the premium product. You tell me, If I start my car 7 times per day, 6 days a week, 52 weeks per year, for 5 years. Thats starting the car 10,900 times.....the "little" difference in flow and oil getting to engine parts might be "little" but it is a difference with the synthetic being on top, that little difference will add up over those 10,900 starts, giving it better protection, you can call it overkill. I call it taking care of my car. And the reason I use Hondas OEM filter is because they flow way better than other filters out there, helping my multiple start situation. They are very solidly constructed as well which is a bonus. I err on the side of caution, Im not looking to push my oil as far as i can possibly go, not trying to play games with my engine. I also change out other fluids early as well, transmission gets a drain and fill with only Honda DW-1 every year/10,000 miles, brake fluid every 3 year, power steering every 3 years, coolant every 2 years (all of these with only Honda fluids) preventative maintenance goes a long way. Million mile Joe did all highway driving, he could have gone 10,000 miles on an oil change easily...but did he? NO! thats funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back