Holy Mothballs Batman! Did you put some in the gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin.gif

http://www.georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm

So, 75 moth balls for a full tank!
gr_eek2.gif
shocked.gif

WD40 does not remove, emulsify, or do anything to water, except displace it. Which really won't help you in your gas tank...

crushedcar.gif

banghead.gif

This is an old trick that some people used a long time ago to make a car run faster. The car will run hotter and then you will need to rebuild the engine more often.

haha, I used to do that.

I was paying a bucket for Shell Methyl Benzene, and was doing organic chemistry at school. We did Napthalene, so I decided to try it (using flakes, not balls).

Used to add a half pound packet per fill up.

It may or may not have worked, but didn't worry me too much, as the "Seat of the Pants Dyno" reassured me that it did.

Made fuel leaks easy to spot 'though.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
This is an old trick that some people used a long time ago to make a car run faster. The car will run hotter and then you will need to rebuild the engine more often.

If that's the only 'damage' it does it might help in temps of colder than -20 ???

Not all moth balls or flakes contain naphtelene. Some of them are made with a clorinated material that does not burn.

They gave that guy a radio show?
shocked.gif

quote:

The higher octane not only increases power, but will also increase gas mileage.

rolleyes.gif
Only in new, fuel injected, computer controlled cars. And even then not all of them, only those with knock sensors will benefit. Even then, not all knock sensors will advance timing with premium fuel...
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Only in new, fuel injected, computer controlled cars. And even then not all of them, only those with knock sensors will benefit. Even then, not all knock sensors will advance timing with premium fuel...

I posted a question on nominal timing, for premium gas in summer, and I would love more info on that.
Back to the moth balls / flakes, surely there are some serious hazards to this, and particular dosages that must not be exceeded. I think it also shows, octane is not everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back