History of Big A autoparts?

The largest Carquest distributors (BWP and GPI) were purchased by Advance Auto Parts. All corporate locations were rebranded as Advance Auto Parts, Independently owned locations are branded as Carquest.
I guess all of ours around here were corporate then. Most of the CQ stores just closed instead of rebranding, suppose bc there were already AAP in pretty much all but the smallest towns.

I seem to remember that Joe Amato of top fuel drag racing fame owned Big A auto parts. I believe that he was from the Scranton, Pa. area. We had a few widely scattered Big A shops at one time. They seemed to have decent prices.

The last independent auto parts store in my area was sold off about 5 years ago. Compared to any chain place, it was run by great people. Someone reopened it as a NAPA. That is also closed now.

I think they sold a bit of Big A stuff in my local Wal Mart in the 80's. My Wal Mart had a parts department back beside sporting goods. They didn't have EVERYTHING, but they carried belts, plugs, common Ford/Chevy alternators and starters, brake pads, u joints, points and caps. Stuff like that. Pretty sure points and caps etc were Big A

Only competion was an old Western Auto until about '88

We got an Autozone about that time.

Recently found this Big A thermostat for an old car that I never installed. Purchased from RockAuto.

Attachments

• 20231105_144412.jpg
    20231105_144412.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231105_144327.jpg
    20231105_144327.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 8
Back