High milage engine oiil weight recomendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Ford E350 super duty. 331K miles. Been running NAPA Synthetic 5w-20 (weight noted on fill cap). I add about 6 quarts every 5K miles. What weight should I increase it to?
Work truck, loaded with weight. It's been driven well, not abused, I bought it new.
I want to stick with NAPA synthetic. All those miles and still running great! never blew a plug or lost a timing chain.
thank you in advance.

Which engine? Certainly go up to a 5w30, and a 10w30 probably wouldn't hurt. I've seen sale flyers with a red bottle Napa high mileage oil advertised but I've never seen any at my local store.

Alex is right, maybe 5 30 winters and 10 30 summers. See what burns the least amount over the interval, youre using it often so wont take long to see the difference.

I'm guessing it's the 6.8l V10

Bump it up to 5w 30 and see how much, if any, the oil consumption is reduced.

That motor probably wouldn't complain about a 40wt either, but take the scientific approach and do a 5w 30 first me thinks...

Six quarts in 5,000 miles is unusually high, especially for a mod engine. By any chance is oil leaking from the head gaskets? I've seen this happen on a couple of E series vans.

With that mileage, I'd say the bearings have opened up enough to just switch to an HDEO. Rings are worn, the valve guides too. Shell Rotella 5W-40 and see how it goes ...
smile.gif

Why won't you just try to stay in the same viscosity, but try a different oil? I heard MaxLife Synthetic is pretty nice for older engines. Why not try that for a couple of intervals to see if it helps at all?

5-20 maybe OK for a new engine but not for 330k.
Move up to 10-30 and see if it helps. I would use a HM oil also.

6 quarts in 5k is getting up there for consumption. I'd move to a 40-weight for sure; either a 10W-40 HM oil, or any 15W-40 oil to see what it does.

If the OP wants to stay with Napa oil, their 15W-40 can be had on sale for several times a year at $8.99-$9.99/gallon. Dare I say I'd try a combo of 15W-40 with a quart of Lucas? I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it has slowed consumption and/or quieted noisy bottoms ends on several customer's vehicles who just want to nurse their cars along as long as they can.

I'd try a straight 30wt by itself first. With the quoted consumption, you're not going to hurt anything whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back