Here's the new comparison tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said PC Price is $6.70/qt. My question was does that figure include the fee to be a PC, is that fee waived with a certain purchase amount, or is there now no fee to be a PC? Or, is it $6.70 plus the fee you pay to get that price scale?

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
You said PC Price is $6.70/qt. My question was does that figure include the fee to be a PC, is that fee waived with a certain purchase amount, or is there now no fee to be a PC? Or, is it $6.70 plus the fee you pay to get that price scale?

No, not included. Not waived for certain amount. Still a fee for PC. Yes, $6.70 plus $10 for a six month trial, or $20/year. Break even is about $80-$100 purchase per year.

John Browning wrote that the PC price is $8.90.

Originally Posted By: DEM5
I personally use PP at about $22.50 for a 5 quart jug and change my oil in both cars at around 4000 miles. Since both are new and under warranty, why would I extend the OCI to 25,000 miles with Amsoil and risk a warranty issue with the factory. Short answer is: I wouldn't. Amsoil is probably a good oil, but not worth $8.90 a quart, plus shipping and preferred customer cost. Seems Amsoil always has to use a bunch of charts and technobabble to try and get people to buy their oil at inflated prices. For me, PP from Walmart is just fine.

What new car has a 4,000 mile OCI?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: DEM5
I personally use PP at about $22.50 for a 5 quart jug and change my oil in both cars at around 4000 miles. Since both are new and under warranty, why would I extend the OCI to 25,000 miles with Amsoil and risk a warranty issue with the factory. Short answer is: I wouldn't. Amsoil is probably a good oil, but not worth $8.90 a quart, plus shipping and preferred customer cost. Seems Amsoil always has to use a bunch of charts and technobabble to try and get people to buy their oil at inflated prices. For me, PP from Walmart is just fine.

21.gif

Not many new cars, if any have a 4000 mile OCI. My new Toyota has a 5,000 OCI, but I go shorter than 5,000 because of the severe short trips the car sees and how little use it gets on weekends. Not unheard of to do a 3 or 4K OCI because of condensation and/or fuel dilution concerns.

OK, that I can see in your case.

In DEM5's case, doesn't sound like it's fuel/water related limitation.

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
The reason I said that was, I like to play dumb at shops and ask the guy behind the counter what the best oil they carry is. I don't say what I'm using it in or anything like that - I just ask what the 'best' one is. I have never had anybody answer anything other than Royal Purple. Even when they have really exotic stuff. They always say RP is the best and probably 7 out of 10 claim to use it in their own vehicles. If I was Amsoil, this would be the crowd I would target.

Many retailers will flog what has the highest markup.

Went into an autozone a few years back, was buying some oil, forgot what brand. The salesman says come with me, told his co worker he was going to show the purple power, knew he was referring to RP. Takes me to it, "Look it is purple, (at the time like $7 something a quart) said it is $7/quart, it has to be good"

I just walked out.

Mobil 1 EP did pretty well...I can actually get it cheaper than quoted on that comparison chart, at Wal-Mart (and I'm not one that believes that the Wal-Mart shelf version is any different than the 5qt jug at an auto parts store). Amsoil looks to be good oil, I'm just not a fan of 25k oil changes, can't reconcile that with my conscience, so the price would go up for me, and be more expensive overall, since I would never leave it in there that long. At the very least, I would think even if someone did, they should change their filter somewhere before 25k, maybe at say, 12,500 mi, and that would add to the cost.

They still fail to include shipping cost on their oil cost. Nothing abut the $20 prefered membership price either.......Marketing departments have selective memory!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
They still fail to include shipping cost on their oil cost. Nothing abut the $20 prefered membership price either.......Marketing departments have selective memory!

Also being a Preferred Customer is a "trial", you can pay for a six month trial.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
21.gif

The 2010 Nissan Cube's severe service OCI is shorter than that -- Schedule 1 is 3,750mi/3mos. A short commute (under 10 miles) in the winter here qualifies.

Originally Posted By: Nissan 2010 Cube Scheduled Maintenance Guide

SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions), every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first

Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your
vehicle under any of these conditions:

* Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
* Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low-speed driving for long distances
* Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
* Towing a trailer, or using a camper or car-top carrier

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Also being a Preferred Customer is a "trial", you can pay for a six month trial.

Yes you can do a six month trial PC for $10.

A regular renewable 12 month PC is $20. Contact me about either.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning

Who said anything about "having" to pay for a membership? I have yet to charge anyone for a membership they did not want to get the PC prices. One just needs to contact me directly for pricing and ordering.

I don't know why Amsoil chose 10w30 for their comparison.

Looks like the next comparison will have to include Ultra & Edge. More competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back