Help me understand this USPS delivery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a small package, priority mail from CA to TX. I thought priority mail was delivered in 1-3 days!

It was picked up on the 28th. And by today the 31st. It is still basically in the same area!

Date & Time Status of Item Location
March 31, 2017, 4:39 am Departed USPS Facility SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383
Your item departed our USPS facility in SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383 on March 31, 2017 at 4:39 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
March 30, 2017, 8:27 pm Arrived at USPS Origin Facility SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383
March 30, 2017, 7:12 pm Accepted at USPS Origin Facility CHATSWORTH, CA 91311
March 29, 2017, 5:51 pm In Transit to Destination
March 28, 2017, 5:51 pm Shipment Picked Up CHATSWORTH, CA 91311
March 28, 2017, 7:44 am Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item CHATSWORTH, CA 91311

Lately it doesn't seem that their tracking system is working correctly. I recently had two packages arrive at my house while their system still said it was in CA and NC respectively. Happy it was wrong in those cases but don't be shocked if it shows up without saying "out for delivery"

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Yeah ive found their tracking to be useless. Youll get the item before the tracking shows anything.

Hard to believe that in 2017 a large company cannot have a reliable package tracking system!

Originally Posted By: daddi
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Yeah ive found their tracking to be useless. Youll get the item before the tracking shows anything.

Hard to believe that in 2017 a large company cannot have a reliable package tracking system!

The postal service isn't a large company. It's a quasi-government agency that is hamstrung by outdated regulations, budget constraints and congressional micromanagement and mismanagement. The postal service lacks the autonomy necessary to run an efficient system.

Their tracking was working reliably until recently. Probably hacked by Russia.

You have to keep in mind who you are dealing with. I use them all the time to ship small packages. The tracking has been slow as of late.

Originally Posted By: Oli20
Lately it doesn't seem that their tracking system is working correctly. I recently had two packages arrive at my house while their system still said it was in CA and NC respectively. Happy it was wrong in those cases but don't be shocked if it shows up without saying "out for delivery"

This exactly. I have a few packages that I've already gotten that still say "in transit" haha.

You think that one's messed up? Check out this one. It still hasn't been delivered. We tried submitting an email inquiry on the USPS web site and after filling in all the information got a message stating that the email system was out of commission. When we tried calling the C/S number the recording stated that the hold time was "one hour and fifteen minutes."

I work for the USPS as a rural carrier and I can tell you that it is lucky any packages get delivered on time and correctly.

I have started using Fedex for my important shipments. USPS is hit or miss. Most of USPS was on time or 1 day late, but every so often a major foul up. 10 days from TX and 9 days from CA to Idaho recently. The TX shipment just dissapeared for a few days and the CA one was stuck in Las Vegas for a week according to tracking. Last year I had a shipment from Japan show up in CA, then ship to NY then back to ID. Strange outfit that USPS is anymore.

From the pic that looks like regular first class mail with tracking not priority mail. Nvm the pic is for another package you're talking about. Are you sure the CA package is priority mail and not regular first class?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I still feel that USPS is a real bargain and the vast majority of my outbound and inbound stuff arrives without a hitch. Sometimes, things just go screwy in dramatic fashion.

I try to avoid the USPS when possible, I don't have time to chase down my packages at my neighbors houses.

You just got unlucky. I find USPS tracking and expected delivery date to be very accurate most of the time. Occasionally, but rarely, there will be an outlier.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You guys should be using UPS.

Someone said that to me once so I shipped 3 things UPS. One arrived damaged, one didn't arrive at all. Went back to USPS.

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You guys should be using UPS.

Someone said that to me once so I shipped 3 things UPS. One arrived damaged, one didn't arrive at all. Went back to USPS.

John

That post is because he works there.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back