International package shipping going nowhere

I finally got it back. It's got a label that says the following, (dated 09/18/23):

RETURN TO SENDER
INCOMPLETE CUSTOMS FORM
INSUFFICIENT CONTENT DESCRIPTION

The only thing I see marked on the customs form is a highlight over where I wrote down "Toy". But then again I'm thinking if it made its way to China then it might have been rejected there for the description of used clothing (that I didn't realize wasn't allowed).

And for all this it seems to have gone up and down California twice, or at least that's what it says in the tracking information.

Last edited:
where I wrote down "Toy".
According to the page, handwritten forms are not acceptable-- you must submit the customs information on the web or take everything to a Post Office counter where the clerk will help you create an electronic form.
Use terms like "personal belongings" and "worn clothing" to emphasize that the stuff is for personal use not resale.

According to the page, handwritten forms are not acceptable-- you must take it to a Post Office counter where the clerk will help you create an electronic form.
Use terms like "personal belongings" and "worn clothing" to emphasize that the stuff is for personal use not resale.

For 2976-R is clearly meant to be handwritten. It's a carbonless duplicate form that I presented to a clerk at a post office. There's a printed label that transcribed all that on the package, along with the address. But what I saw was this message:

Where do I deposit mail that requires a customs form?

Retail Service Counter
The following mailpieces can only be accepted at USPS retail services counters:
  • Any item bearing a customs form and paid with only postage stamps
  • Any item for which the customs data was not electronically transmitted
  • Any item bearing a customs form that was not computer-generated
  • Any item bearing a handwritten customs form
Retail associates will enter the customs information electronically. If these mailpieces are improperly presented or deposited, the Postal Service will return those items to the sender for proper entry and acceptance.

The issue with "worn clothing" is that it's apparently a category of item that China doesn't accept for "import", although I'm thinking they may not be consistent on it. They want something clearer. Maybe I should have put down "die cast toy car" to make it more specific. But then everything is a minefield these days with regards to shipping internationally.

I don’t know about China but a number of countries in Asia have a booming market in the resale of used clothing. Large boxes full of used clothes are sent over and resold. The profit can be substantial and I’m guessing it circumvents the tax laws.

They are getting stricter on the contents description. Personal effects has not been allowed for some time now.

I just went to the same post office to see what my options were since it never made it out of the US. I did open the package to see if everything was intact. And I was helped by the same postal clerk who previously worked on it. I changed the descriptions slightly where the Hot Wheels were “die cast toy car” and the clothes were “women’s leggings”. When I mentioned “toy” might have been to vague, the clerk said it sounded odd that it wasn't enough.

Resending wasn’t a problem and the previous postage was reused as “affixed postage”. But the envelope was resealed with packaging tape. I guess it would have been difficult to remove the postage meter label, but the previous pouch (for the original customs form) had to be partially cut off to affix a new pouch. And the new printed customs label and address covered the original one.

Hoping this time it leaves the US, but who knows if it makes it to the destination.

It's different this time. I've been checking tracking for a while and I didn't see any updates for days even though there's now indication that it's moving. I'm pretty sure that it went through Oakland, and maybe it went through outbound US Customs even if it's not listed in the tracking info. I checked on Oct 8 and the last info was that it was in Berkeley. I guess the only minefield now is Chinese customs and whether or not they reject the package or decide to charge duties.

International Transit
Processed Through USPS Regional Facility​
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER​
October 7, 2023, 5:13 pm​
Departed USPS Regional Facility​
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER​
October 6, 2023, 6:12 pm​
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility​
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, UNITED STATES​
October 6, 2023, 5:33 pm​
Arrived at USPS Facility​
BERKELEY, CA 94709​
October 2, 2023, 1:05 pm​
USPS in possession of item​
BERKELEY, CA 94709​
October 2, 2023, 12:52 pm​

There's got to be an easier way. I'll just say that I've got a tiny amount of experience going the other way, where mailing something from China to the United States is cheap. I bought something for less than $2 on eBay from a seller in China. I was placed in a small padded envelope and the description was that it was a gift with nothing else about the contents. I don't think CPB really cared as long as dogs didn't sniff drugs in there, although I've heard criticism about how Chinese sellers take advantage of low negotiated mail costs where the US has more costs than China Post's reimbursements. Or at least it was under the Universal Postal Union where China was still considered a "transitional country". But I think I did that about a decade ago.

It's different this time. I've been checking tracking for a while and I didn't see any updates for days even though there's now indication that it's moving. I'm pretty sure that it went through Oakland, and maybe it went through outbound US Customs even if it's not listed in the tracking info. I checked on Oct 8 and the last info was that it was in Berkeley. I guess the only minefield now is Chinese customs and whether or not they reject the package or decide to charge duties.

International Transit
Departed USPS Regional Facility​
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, UNITED STATES​
October 6, 2023, 5:33 pm​
Arrived at USPS Facility​
BERKELEY, CA 94709​
October 2, 2023, 1:05 pm​
USPS in possession of item​
BERKELEY, CA 94709​
October 2, 2023, 12:52 pm​

There's got to be an easier way. I'll just say that I've got a tiny amount of experience going the other way, where mailing something from China to the United States is cheap. I bought something for less than $2 on eBay from a seller in China. I was placed in a small padded envelope and the description was that it was a gift with nothing else about the contents. I don't think CPB really cared as long as dogs didn't sniff drugs in there, although I've heard criticism about how Chinese sellers take advantage of low negotiated mail costs where the US has more costs than China Post's reimbursements. Or at least it was under the Universal Postal Union where China was still considered a "transitional country". But I think I that about a decade ago.
There is an easier way......... Use FedEx. They handle the customs, they don't screw around. Quick, quick. Yes it costs more, but with an easy to obtain FedEx account, it is worth it. Typically 30 - 40% off.

Do you think business could tolerate this delay?

Last edited:
And put a bunch of unrelated items in the box, any one of which could stop the whole thing.

And put a bunch of unrelated items in the box, any one of which could stop the whole thing.

I was asked to send all that random stuff. So I can't say it was my fault. Maybe the toy. That was my idea.

I just wonder how expats get care packages from friends and relatives. This is my first experience shipping anything overseas that was more than just paper correspondence.

I have heard from friends who visited China and brought all sorts of stuff with them as gifts. Chinese customs can have various attitudes about it, including being sticklers or not caring at all. One friend told about packing cosmetics and perfumes as gifts and they didn't care at all even though it was clearly over any duty free limit. Another had brought in American ginseng, which is expensive there, but had some of it confiscated for being over some purported limit.

Communications with a SIM card in a communist country using an American phone number. Explain what you guys are trying to get around.
That seems to be "the rest of the story"......

I just wonder how expats get care packages from friends and relatives. This is my first experience shipping anything overseas that was more than just paper correspondence.

The one time I needed something sent it was thru FedEx.

Yeah - I know, I know, but it's too late now and I am not spending another $100 when this was just a favor for a friend.

But now the tracking info says it arrives at LAX (I assume) and ideally made it on a plane.

Latest Update​

Your item arrived at an origin transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES on October 9, 2023 at 3:51 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.​

Communications with a SIM card in a communist country using an American phone number. Explain what you guys are trying to get around.
That seems to be "the rest of the story"......

US citizen living as an expat and trying to get access to accounts that require SMS texts to reset the password. I doubt that they care, but will they know it's a US citizen?

USPS tracking now says it's in China and being processed by customs. Fingers crossed. I'll leave out the exact times in China just in case someone is watching. I doubt it though. Interesting path that it took. I suppose that's a regular flight from LA to Seattle.

Latest Update​

Your item is being processed by customs in CHINA at X:XX pm on October 16, 2023.​
Customs Transit​
Customs Clearance​
CHINA​
October 16, 2023, X:XX pm​
Arrived at Facility​
CHINA​
October 16, 2023, X:XX pm​
Processed Through Facility​
CHINA​
October 14, 2023, X:XX pm​
Departed​
SHANGHAI, CHINA​
October 14, 2023, X:XX pm​
Departed​
SEATTLE, UNITED STATES​
October 13, 2023, 10:30 am​
Arrived​
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES​
October 9, 2023, 3:51 pm​

OK - looks like it's going to the destination but who knows if they're going to charge any duties.

I was able to enter the same USPS tracking number of the China Post website, although I don't read Chinese and had to use Google Translate to know what was going on. But from what I can tell from the translation, it spent about 4 days in Shanghai where it went through a lot of sorting before being shipped by air to a major airport at the destination city. But it went through inbound customs in the destination city.

I don't know exactly why, but on the USPS website, all it says about customs clearance was that it was in Shanghai and then in various locations in China. But with China Post's tracking it's more specific about the city and locations that translate as locations such as "international exchange bureau", "X City package workshop", or "aviation center".

I thought about it some more, and the package went through EMS (https://www.ems.post), so I was able to track it there. More detail than USPS, but less than China Post. I edited out the times in China and anything that indicates the destination city. It also doesn't seem to match the USPS tracking info. I hadn't even mailed it out on Oct 2 at noon and did it from a post office in Berkeley, California.

Date and timeStatus of ItemLocation
Oct 2, 2023 11:22 AMReleased from export customs and securityLos Angeles
Oct 2, 2023 12:52 PMPosted94709
Oct 6, 2023 6:12 PMArrived at export officeLos Angeles
Oct 7, 2023 5:13 PMDeparted from export officeLos Angeles
Oct 14, 2023 Arrived at destination import officeShanghai Hongqiao International Apt
Oct 16, 2023 Arrived at sorting center**
Oct 16, 2023 Presented to import customsInternational Apt
Oct 17, 2023 Released from import customsInternational Apt
Oct 17, 2023 Sorting completed**
Oct 17, 2023 Departed from destination import officeInternational Apt

Funny and aggravating. I have ordered all sorts of iffy things from China that made it through US customs no questions asked. China being vigilant and pedantic regarding incoming mail is kind of ironic.

China doesn't like google. You sent a google SIM card. Gmail doesn't work in China and forget about searching with google. instant re-direct to Baidu, at least in 2017-2018 when I was there.

China doesn't like google. You sent a google SIM card. Gmail doesn't work in China and forget about searching with google. instant re-direct to Baidu, at least in 2017-2018 when I was there.

It’s a bit complicated. I remember when Google was more or less forced to end their search engine in mainland china, they had an automatic redirect to their Hong Kong based search engine. Not sure how long that was for.

Google does tons of business in China that isn’t their search engine or other web based functions. Most Google electronics are assembled in China.

However, it’s not as if foreign SIM cards are banned for foreigners to use. To them, Google Fi is no different than any other foreign SIM card accessing international roaming. I’ve been there on vacation when someone with a US based phone called me from China to ask where we were staying. We were thinking of meeting up. Pretty pricey though. Might have been maybe $1 a minute so I tried to keep it short. They give foreign carriers this access, and it’s generally reciprocal for Chinese carriers that allow international roaming.

Back