Help me Negotiate 2021 Mazda CX-5

Private party sale that is asking $28,000 for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Sport with 9,500 miles. Story is that selling for daughter that went overseas. Asking seems a bit high. I was thinking somewhere about $22,000 would be a fair offer. Thoughts?

KBB says it has a trade in value of $26,500- private party $28.637

I would offer $25K and work a bit higher .

Here is what you do:

1. Go to https://www.carvana.com/sell-my-car. Put in the vehicle info and get an offer.
  2. Offer him $2000 below whatever Carvana offers. If he sneers at your offer, pull out the Carvana offer and show it to him. Tell him that he might need to wait a month or more to close the Carvana transaction if there are no other complications. Local car dealers will offer even less than your offer. Work your way from there. No one works off KBB. Car dealers use the Black Book/Auction Prices.
  3. If there is no way to buy it from him bellow asking, visit your local Mazda dealer and buy a brand new CX-5 for under $30K. You'll be out of there in a few hours and you won't have to haggle with anyone.
Good luck!

1. If there is no way to buy it from him bellow asking, visit your local Mazda dealer and buy a brand new CX-5 for under $30K. You'll be out of there in a few hours and you won't have to haggle with anyone.
Good luck!

According to Mazdas inventory search there are none on the lot within 200 miles of him, though there are quite a few in transit. Who knows if any of them are not sold.

I do agree if i could wait i'd just buy a new one.

You can always offer what you think is a fair price. If he doesn’t accept the next move is yours. Either increase your offer or find a different vehicle.

I’ve said for ever that everything I own is for sale you just need to offer the right price! A couple years ago I was splitting wood at the end of our driveway when a random car pulled up. It was a realtor doing a cold call for a client wanting to live in our neighborhood. We let her walk through the house after checking credentials and then I said shoot me a price. She was about 10% less than what I wanted so I said no thanks. If your clients can’t find a house come back with a new offer. Never saw her again 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02

Do you need a [new] car at this time
"need" both of my vehicles are getting upper mileage. They are well maintained. I have been looking for sometime now. I'm on the fence. No I don't need it, but eventually one would think I will. I may end up sitting the sidelines a bit longer and spring for the new versus used route for the first time ever when I "need" a car.

Here is what you do:

1. Go to https://www.carvana.com/sell-my-car. Put in the vehicle info and get an offer.
  2. Offer him $2000 below whatever Carvana offers. If he sneers at your offer, pull out the Carvana offer and show it to him. Tell him that he might need to wait a month or more to close the Carvana transaction if there are no other complications. Local car dealers will offer even less than your offer. Work your way from there. No one works off KBB. Car dealers use the Black Book/Auction Prices.
  3. If there is no way to buy it from him bellow asking, visit your local Mazda dealer and buy a brand new CX-5 for under $30K. You'll be out of there in a few hours and you won't have to haggle with anyone.
Good luck!

I have sold a number of cars privately (and successfully) throughout the years.
If I had someone come to me about a car I had for sale (especially if it was a year old with Very simply, I would avoid the DRAMA, HASSLE, and probably SNARK by asking the party in question to remove themselves from my property.
Then, I would call up Carvana and start the process of selling it to them.

Very simply, I would avoid the DRAMA, HASSLE, and probably SNARK by asking the party in question to remove themselves from my property.
Considering that the OP wanted some advice about negotiating a private sale and that I gave him something to work with, I am surprised by your passive-aggressive attitude. Most civilized sellers make it clear from the beginning whether their asking price is negotiable. And most civilized buyers understand that and immediately move on if the asking price is not agreeable or negotiable. I never suggested that anyone waste their time with drama. However, Carvana will drag its feet through the buying process. Back in March, I preferred to lose $1000 on trade so that I don't have to deal with Carvana and rather sold the vehicle to one of our major local dealers. Convenience and peace of mind cost money. They're not free. And that's precisely what the OP is offering the seller.

I also suggest that @linuxology checks out the YAA Community for help navigating a private sale. As previously stated, Good Luck!

The Sport is the base CX-5 trim and started at around $25,000 in 2021. That trim had few options. The seller seems to be asking for more than the car sold for new. Use this info as you wish.

Considering that the OP wanted some advice about negotiating a private sale and that I gave him something to work with, I am surprised by your passive-aggressive attitude. Most civilized sellers make it clear from the beginning whether their asking price is negotiable. And most civilized buyers understand that and immediately move on if the asking price is not agreeable or negotiable. I never suggested that anyone waste their time with drama. However, Carvana will drag its feet through the buying process. Back in March, I preferred to lose $1000 on trade so that I don't have to deal with Carvana and rather sold the vehicle to one of our major local dealers. Convenience and peace of mind cost money. They're not free. And that's precisely what the OP is offering the seller.

I also suggest that @linuxology checks out the YAA Community for help navigating a private sale. As previously stated, Good Luck!

Before I sell a vehicle, I ascertain what it is worth.
I use the available sources to do this (KBB, NADA, Edmunds, etc.) to get a range of values.
I might even go through the Carmax (or similar) process or drive by a couple of dealers to get some additional input.
However, at the end of the day, I'm going to get my price out of the vehicle (or it's not going anywhere.)
That's not to say that there isn't some flex (I generally build some into my asking.)
I'll listen to a serious offer.
However, It is not incumbent upon me to finance someone else's dreams.
Nice things cost nice money. If they don't want to pay what the going rate is, I'll find someone who will.
However, I don't see the play here. Walk up on someone, deliver them a low ball number, then tell them that a car buying service will pay them 2K more for it. If that's the case, why waste the time talking to him/her?
Perhaps I should be thankful that someone is "Tossing me a bone," and I should drop to my knees and plead hysterically for them to purchase my car at a huge discount.
Not happening. In buying or selling, I am willing to shop or wait until I can achieve the target price (or extremely close to it.)

Back