Help me choose oil for 1998 toyota corolla!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't ever see leaking oil, but I think at really high RPMs it tends to burn a lot. I usually don't have a problem around home. I tend to add a half quart every month. This car is paid off so I'm hoping to get the most out of it I can - you know drive it till it drops.

My previous car was a 98 Corrolla, when I traded it in couple of years ago it had about 175K on it and ran like a swiss watch. Never consumed or leaked any oil. I had bought it brand new and did almost all routine maintenance on it, including vast majority of oil changes myself. The only reason I got rid of it when I bought my truck was it reminded my of my Ex-wife!

But what I did was when it got to high miles, if I remember correctly, around 80K or so, I started using Castrol high mileage 10W-30. The high mileage oils have special additives which soften and condition the seals and gaskets to keep them from drying out, cracking and susequently leaking.

It might be already too late in your case, but once you clean out the engine from sludge or gunk, etc. I would start using oils for high mileage cars to keep the seals from leaking.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am thinking about Valvoline Max life. That comes in a synthetic blend or full syn right? I don't think I want to pay for full synthetic, especially since I will probably still need to be adding oil on a regular basis. Do you think the full syn might slip around the seals faster?

If I put a blend in, will that be a problem if I then decide to switch back to regular oil?

I think something definitely needs to be done for the seals. Maybe an Auto-RX treatment, followed by Valvoline Maxlife blend or the Castrol High Milage product.

You're correct about it coming in a full synthetic and a semi synthetic. I haven't used the full synthetic version so I couldn't comment on that. There's no problem if you choose to switch back to regular. I switch between conventional, synthetic blend and full synthetic in my car all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back