Help me choose: Manual Gear oil for '03 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
...maybe even a 75W-80 would be even better but not sure for sheering with long term use in hot weather.

Something like Redline or Amsoil 75W80 should work well in the cold winter.

As I stated before, with the mix of modern base oils, shear resistant VIIs, and better AW and friction additives, a 10.0 cSt MTF should present no problems.

That's good to know. I really like the low resistance feel of the shifting kinda clicks into gear now, before you could feel the resistance even when warm. Can't believe fluid could make such a difference. I'll leave the Nissan HQ in for 1-2 years and maybe try a 10.0 cSt from your list next time. Gives me time to pick some up next time I'm in the US as finding 75W-80 here must be impossible with all the difficulty I had getting 75W-85 here.

Quote:
Gives me time to pick some up next time I'm in the US as finding 75W-80 here must be impossible with all the difficulty I had getting 75W-85 here.

Kinda off topic, but are you saying you can't order lubricants from the Internet up there?

Originally Posted By: NemesisBob

That's good to know. I really like the low resistance feel of the shifting kinda clicks into gear now, before you could feel the resistance even when warm. Can't believe fluid could make such a difference. I'll leave the Nissan HQ in for 1-2 years and maybe try a 10.0 cSt from your list next time. Gives me time to pick some up next time I'm in the US as finding 75W-80 here must be impossible with all the difficulty I had getting 75W-85 here.

I'm glad to hear that you've improved the shift quality in your G35, and thank you for updating the thread as well!

It's good that the Nissan HQ fluid worked out for you. Too bad I never did have good luck with that fluid when I had my 5-speed V6 Altima. With the HQ stuff, I could not ever shift into first gear unless the car was stopped and second would grind all the time. I also couldn't downshift into second without double-clutching. Hopefully the good shift quality that you now have stays that way when the cooler weather comes around.

Kinda off topic, but are you saying you can't order lubricants from the Internet up there?

We can order stuff online up here, but unfortunately, the selection of vendors that are located in Canada or that will ship to Canada (fron the USA or wherever) are limited. Also, duty and import fees sometimes negate any online "savings". I usually find that it is easier to try and get a local speed shop to order things like Redline fluid or (in my case) the Pentosin MTF2 and just pay the slightly higher price for the convenience of picking it up and not dealing with the hassles of duty / shipping / picking up at the warehouse if no one is home to sign for the package / etc. And in some cases, the price isn't even significantly higher (or not higher at all if you get lucky). Amsoil is easy enough to find up here as we do have 2 distributions centers and of course there are a lot of dealers around.

^^ Exactly. It would not only negate any savings, it would actually be crazy expensive if you factor in duty, Quebec taxes, shipping and exchange rate. Just easier to get some shipped to me wherever I stay in the US on my next trip and just bring it back duty free, something like a Ravenol or Fuchs 75w-80 or some of the others on Molakule's list that you can't get here in QC. Wonder if anyone has tried GM Synchromesh in a Nissan 6 speed? That at least is super easy and cheap to purchase. I'm really liking the low resistance, click into gear with the thinner fluid, wonder if it can be improved even more.

Last edited:

Route yourself through a Canadian IP and try to order from Amazon USA and be prepared for stress. Amazon Canada's offerings are limited. Amazon USA picks and chooses what can be shipped and what cannot. They won't ship most oil filters. They'll ship Mobil stuff to Canada, but not SOPUS, or vice versa. I can't remember which.

In any case, Autopartsway's Canadian site does have some good options for fluids, but really spotty availability. If I were looking, aside from the dealer, I'd start with the distributors and a speedshop or two, and perhaps an independent parts store. Pablo would probably be the least painful option, though.

Yep, Pablo is the least "PAINFUL" Amsoil dealer I know.
grin2.gif

I just checked the Shell page for the heck of it, and they recommend Pennzoil Synthetic 75W-90 (GL-4). As I've mentioned before, sometimes Nissan/Infiniti calls for a weird viscosity combination that is excessively hard to find. I'm sure that choice is more readily available, and I'd be interested to hear what Mola thinks.

Also, Autopartsway's Canadian site brought in a pile of Red Line stuff as of late, so that's another thing to consider on your next fluid change. With respect to price, it's much the same as most synthetic gear lubes available at our normal retailers, if not a tiny bit cheaper.

Interesting, at the dealer for an oil change and I ask him what he has of all stock of MTF's in GL-4. He pulls out a grey 1l bottle of OEM Nissan 75w-80 GL-4. The dealer I bought my HQ 85 weight did not have this. Quick Google search shows this is probably what they use in cold Russia and Nordic euro countries. Another good reasonable priced option for Nissan in Canada. Price is $14.95 for full liter, not 946ml.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I just checked the Shell page for the heck of it, and they recommend Pennzoil Synthetic 75W-90 (GL-4). As I've mentioned before, sometimes Nissan/Infiniti calls for a weird viscosity combination that is excessively hard to find. I'm sure that choice is more readily available, and I'd be interested to hear what Mola thinks.

The Pennzoil 75W90 would be too thick.

The Pennzoil Synchromesh (75W80 at 9.3 cSt) would be better but it is a majority mineral base oil.

Last edited:

Oh well, it is what they listed. It didn't seem quite right. I'm sure Shell has other options, but it can be difficult to wade through their options, since their Canadian datasheet database is even further behind than the U.S. version. And the Lube Match tool does a few odd things, recommending different stuff between two different models, while those two models have the same OEM recommendations.
wink.gif

NemesisBob: I'd say that's a pretty decent price you came across. Even the cheapest mineral based drivetrain fluids typically cost more than that around here. That's why I had no qualms with using RP differential fluid, since it was actually cheaper than a bunch of other more mainstream options.

MolaKule said:
NemesisBob: I'd say that's a pretty decent price you came across. Even the cheapest mineral based drivetrain fluids typically cost more than that around here. That's why I had no qualms with using RP differential fluid, since it was actually cheaper than a bunch of other more mainstream options.

Yeah, I would not use 75W-90 on a Nissan 6 speed. I believe there was a TSB that told dealers not to use it, since early G35/350Z's had it as an option in the factory service manual.

I took some photos of the Nissan 75W-80, Made in Belgium (PN KE916-99935), parts guy said it's a semi synthetic. Thought I'd leave it here for others since in all my research never new this was an OEM option, and reasonably priced too.

I also found a link to the MSDS, maybe there is enough viscosity information for MolaKule to enter it on his manual gear oil list. It would have steered me towards this oil no question. Would be good for those -25c mornings we get up here routinely in the winter.

http://www.quickfds.com/out/17406-80304-16782-011525.pdf

IMG_20150827_132911_hdr.jpg
IMG_20150827_132935.jpg

Oh well, it is what they listed. It didn't seem quite right. I'm sure Shell has other options, but it can be difficult to wade through their options, since their Canadian datasheet database is even further behind than the U.S. version. And the Lube Match tool does a few odd things, recommending different stuff between two different models, while those two models have the same OEM recommendations.
wink.gif

Shell Spirax S6 GXME 75w-80 GL-4, MT-1 is an acceptable match.

But again it is really difficult to find this in North America at least at the retail level. I have never seen it...anyone actually seen this in the US or Canada in bottles?

Quote:
I also found a link to the MSDS, maybe there is enough viscosity information for MolaKule to enter it on his manual gear oil list. It would have steered me towards this oil no question. Would be good for those -25c mornings we get up here routinely in the winter.

The link didn't work.

Unless I have a valid PDS or VOA I do not add any NTF to the list.
cool.gif

Quote:

The link didn't work.

cool.gif

Try this one...

http://www.quickfds.com/out/17408-14398-05933-010014.pdf

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
But again it is really difficult to find this in North America at least at the retail level. I have never seen it...anyone actually seen this in the US or Canada in bottles?

I can't recall seeing it at all. I suspect that would be available from a distributor, if at all, and probably by the case, rather than one or two bottles.

Originally Posted By: NemesisBob
Quote:

The link didn't work.

cool.gif

Try this one...

http://www.quickfds.com/out/17408-14398-05933-010014.pdf

Quote:
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

www.quickfds.com
Apache

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back