Help me choose: Manual Gear oil for '03 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can definitely just drain and refill with Nissan MTF. I used it for a very long time and it shifted flawlessly. I only went back to the spec 75W90 "just because" I didn't want to run an out of spec fluid.

Like transmissions don't respond the same to the same fluid.

Until you try the fluid, and for at least 5000 miles, you won't know if it is better or worse.

Do you even know if the trans fluid has ever been changed? and with what?

Use what you can source locally.

You can also get a glue on heater and warm up your transmission prior to your morning commute.

Red Line is fine. If the price is a problem, check other, approved options. Check at the dealer. They'll either be using a Nissan/Infiniti fluid or an Imperial Oil fluid as service fill in Canada.

Looks like I'll be going with OEM Nissan HQ Multi 75W-85 to start, perhaps the Nissan dealer that serviced this car put something else inside or a higher viscosity. Not sure if it's mineral, synthetic or possibly a blend hence the "HQ" label? There are too many negative reviews on Redline in this transmission and my mechanic is adamant that it is too much lube and I don't want to argue with someone who's raced and rebuilt a bunch of cars. Incidentally, I have called 16 parts stores looking for any brand 75W-85 GL-4 and nothing other than redline, why is it next to impossible to find this grade?

Originally Posted By: NemesisBob
Looks like I'll be going with OEM Nissan HQ Multi 75W-85 to start, perhaps the Nissan dealer that serviced this car put something else inside or a higher viscosity. Not sure if it's mineral, synthetic or possibly a blend hence the "HQ" label? There are too many negative reviews on Redline in this transmission and my mechanic is adamant that it is too much lube and I don't want to argue with someone who's raced and rebuilt a bunch of cars. Incidentally, I have called 16 parts stores looking for any brand 75W-85 GL-4 and nothing other than redline, why is it next to impossible to find this grade?

Honestly, don't bother with the Nissan HQ 75W85. It's garbage from day one in a cold climate. I see you're in Montreal, QC. I have a lot of relatives there btw!!! But being from Toronto, I understand your pain with regard to cold weather shifting. I think some of these recommendations from people aren't taking into account the extreme cold weather and its effects on mineral based lubricants in a manual transmission. Synthetic fluids have higher viscosity indexes, and also flow better in extreme cold weather. They will provide better shifting in extreme cold compared to mineral lubricants.

I used to have a Nissan Altima 5-speed manual with the VQ 3.5L V6 engine. I bought the car brand new, and it came filled with the Nissan HQ stuff. Shifting was absolutely terrible right from the start. You couldn't get into first gear at all unless the car was totally stopped, or until it warmed up for at least 20-30 minutes. Second would always grind... It was terrible. So I switched to Redline (back then there was no redline MT-85, so I mixed half Redline MT-90 75W90 with half Redline MTL 75W80). There was a huge improvement in shift feel. First gear, while still stiff in cold weather, would actually engage if I was still rolling. Second would grab much better, sometimes with a small bite, but still much better.

To be honest, I don't think Nissan manual transmissions are all that great when it comes to shift feel. They get the job done, and are fairly durable (I never had any problems with reliability, just shift feel), but they feel like rocks in a bucket sometimes. But honestly, Redline really did help. If I had to do it over again, I would actually just use straight Redline MTL 75W80. The GL-4 additive pack is what provides the protection, and the lighter viscosity would definitely help with synchro action in our cold weather. Manual trannies, especially RWD transmissions, don't warm up very quickly, or all that much when there is constant airflow under the vehicle and it's below freezing outside.

I'm sure there are speed shops around your area that carry Redline. You don't have to mail order, and I don't think I've ever paid $30 / qt before for it.

But if you must go with something else, the GM 75W85 synthetic stuff is fine. But if not thin enough, you can try a synchromesh fluid (GM sells two versions of it, get the "FM" version if you try it) for better cold weather performance. It's only semi-synthetic, but better than what you have in there now. I wish I had tried some more of these different options when I had my car. My current vehicle shifts fine in most weather, or after a few minutes, so I'm not as bothered by the cold weather shifting anymore.

Good luck...

There are too many negative reviews on Redline in this transmission and my mechanic is adamant that it is too much lube and I don't want to argue with someone who's raced and rebuilt a bunch of cars.

I think Mola's credentials are sufficient that his advice should be that which you follow. You're not going to find anyone on this board, or almost anywhere else, period, with more knowledge on gear and transmission lubes.

I have an '06 G35 6MT which I bought new. From day 1 in the cold it was hard to get into first and the 1-2 shift was difficult. I don't know that mine ever crunched going into second, but I shift pretty slowly when cold. Now with a bunch of miles on it, it sometimes feels like it won't go into second when it is cold and crunches going from 5th to 6th when cold. Nissan made a couple updates to the transmission over the first few years to address syncro issues.

I have tried a couple different gl-4 gear oils and went back to the OE Nissan oil. At this point I think if the OE clutch ever wears out, I might put a new OE transmission on along with the replacement clutch.

My point of all this is that they are not great when cold to begin with, after 12 years of use, it might be worse. New oil may help, but don't expect miracles.

My previous 5 speed Maxima shifted more easily when cold (and was quieter), but was not as good in any other way.

A friend of mine and I used to joke that we could hear a G35/350z in neutral across a parking lot due to all the flywheel/transmission noise.

Where are you reading negative Red Line reviews? Which fluid did they choose? What climate were they in?

Red Line is about as good as it gets in the MTL world unless you are somewhere very very cold.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97

Honestly, don't bother with the Nissan HQ 75W85. It's garbage from day one in a cold climate. I see you're in Montreal, QC. I have a lot of relatives there btw!!! But being from Toronto, I understand your pain with regard to cold weather shifting. I think some of these recommendations from people aren't taking into account the extreme cold weather and its effects on mineral based lubricants in a manual transmission. Synthetic fluids have higher viscosity indexes, and also flow better in extreme cold weather. They will provide better shifting in extreme cold compared to mineral lubricants.

I used to have a Nissan Altima 5-speed manual with the VQ 3.5L V6 engine. I bought the car brand new, and it came filled with the Nissan HQ stuff. Shifting was absolutely terrible right from the start. You couldn't get into first gear at all unless the car was totally stopped, or until it warmed up for at least 20-30 minutes. Second would always grind... It was terrible. So I switched to Redline (back then there was no redline MT-85, so I mixed half Redline MT-90 75W90 with half Redline MTL 75W80). There was a huge improvement in shift feel. First gear, while still stiff in cold weather, would actually engage if I was still rolling. Second would grab much better, sometimes with a small bite, but still much better.

To be honest, I don't think Nissan manual transmissions are all that great when it comes to shift feel. They get the job done, and are fairly durable (I never had any problems with reliability, just shift feel), but they feel like rocks in a bucket sometimes. But honestly, Redline really did help. If I had to do it over again, I would actually just use straight Redline MTL 75W80. The GL-4 additive pack is what provides the protection, and the lighter viscosity would definitely help with synchro action in our cold weather. Manual trannies, especially RWD transmissions, don't warm up very quickly, or all that much when there is constant airflow under the vehicle and it's below freezing outside.

I'm sure there are speed shops around your area that carry Redline. You don't have to mail order, and I don't think I've ever paid $30 / qt before for it.

But if you must go with something else, the GM 75W85 synthetic stuff is fine. But if not thin enough, you can try a synchromesh fluid (GM sells two versions of it, get the "FM" version if you try it) for better cold weather performance. It's only semi-synthetic, but better than what you have in there now. I wish I had tried some more of these different options when I had my car. My current vehicle shifts fine in most weather, or after a few minutes, so I'm not as bothered by the cold weather shifting anymore.

Good luck...

My issue stems with not knowing for certain what is in there right now. This car has never seen a winter and I plan to keep it that way so I don't need it to operate at -25c conditions but end of March and end of November gets pretty cold here before I put it in storage. Wouldn't Redline MTL 75w-80 be too thin? Would a too thin gear oil cause damage?

Originally Posted By: Garak

I think Mola's credentials are sufficient that his advice should be that which you follow. You're not going to find anyone on this board, or almost anywhere else, period, with more knowledge on gear and transmission lubes.

I'm sorry, I'm knew here and don't know the posters and Mola's credentials. Please share any links or info, I just don't want to put a too thin oil or oil with too much lube and cause damage.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Where are you reading negative Red Line reviews? Which fluid did they choose? What climate were they in?

Red Line is about as good as it gets in the MTL world unless you are somewhere very very cold.

Don't have all that detailed information but here are a few threads from Nissan/Infiniti forums..

http://g35driver.com/forums/drivetrain/334403-changed-man-trans-fluid-now-have-issues.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/402233-changing-manual-transmission-fluid.html

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/517243-redline-mt-85-transmission-fluid-review.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drive...uid-review.html

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/2753-synthetic-gearbox-oil-for-the-manual-transmission/

And here is a thread saying GM Synchromesh is the way to go... :|

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/596290-transmission-and-red-line-oil.html

My suggestion is that you take a look at what Castrol have to offer, MTFs is an area where they generally produce excellent products.

My issue stems with not knowing for certain what is in there right now. This car has never seen a winter and I plan to keep it that way so I don't need it to operate at -25c conditions but end of March and end of November gets pretty cold here before I put it in storage. Wouldn't Redline MTL 75w-80 be too thin? Would a too thin gear oil cause damage?

I understand your concern, but my experience is that the Nissan HQ stuff was not good even in warmer weather (keeping in mind that we hardly ever have super hot days as people do in Texas for example). Historically, all Nissan manual transmissions called for 75W90 fluid, but Nissan switched to a 75W85 fluid due to shifting complaints. Transmissions were not changed at all in design, just the fluid was thinner, that's all. This is actually quite common in the industry. Many companies have dine similar things. Hyundai issued a TSB for their Genesis coupes a while back to switch from 75W85 to Pentosin MTF2, which is a very thin 75W80 and is fully synthetic.

In my opinion, a thinner mineral fluid does not always solve the problem. It may be a tiny bit thinner at 100 C, but mineral fluid thickens much more as it cools than synthetic fluid in general. Most problems with shifting are during warm up, where the fluid is too thick to allow proper synchronization of the gears.

In terms of fluid, you really can use any GL-4 rated fluid. You will know if the viscosity is too thick or too thin based on the way the shifter responds. If it's hard to shift, then it's too thick, if it feels notchy after warm up, then it's too thin. Every manual box is different, so experiment until you're satisfied.

MolaKule has an excellent list of fluids from thin to thick for manual transmissions. Check it out. And remember, that you can even use 75W90 if it's summer driven and you race or do track events. You just need a high quality synthetic fluid to ensure that cold shifting is still acceptable. If you don't race at all, the 75W80 option would be fine and would probably give you better shifts right from the start.

Last edited:
Here is MolaKule's full list of fluids for manuals:

MolaKule's MTF List

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Here is an updated list of dedicated GL-4 and a few GL-5 MTL's, Updated 8/12/2015:

A. These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.xcSt@100C (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) and SAE 70W to 75W or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.0 to 7.5 cSt@100C versions (About the same viscosity as a the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

H. The next group of MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt (SAE 75W80) range:

1. Redline MTL 75W80

2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)

3. GM Synchromesh’s

4. Volvo MTF 645

5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

I. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1. Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

J. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt ( SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG

2. Redline MT-90

3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90

4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90

5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS

7. Subaru Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid carries a GL-5 Rating because it is used in common sump driveline systems.

Wow, that is a great list. Extra thanks to MolaKule for compiling it. Basically, Redline is the only thing on that list that's available here, except of course the dealer spec lubes.

Between Redline MTL 75W80 - 10.x cSt, Redline MT-85 - 12.0 cSt, what would be the performance difference, both when cold and when hot? Do they perform the same when fully warmed up? Where would Nissan OEM MTF-HQ rank both on that list and between Redline MTL and MTF?

Me,I'd be more concerned with protection once the transmission is hot. Cold solution is simple,don't beat on it while it's cold. You don't want the fluid to be too thin once the tranny is good and hot. Stick with the oem spec. My vote is Redline in oem weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back