help identify possible causes for engine sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,

i've been reading in different posts that some of you bitogers use certain oils to quiet "lifter noise." I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is the same but thought that someone might offer a possible explanation for a sound im hearing.

Its a 2013 Prius with a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder gasoline engine. When I accelerate hard - i heard a soft fast ticking noise. The best way to describe it would be like if somebody were riding a bicycle really fast with a card slightly stuck in the spokes of the wheel.

Should I be concerned? The car is still under factory warranty.

Does the frequency seem related to engine speed or road speed? If road speed, then it could be something as simple as a rock or nail in a tire.

frequency seems related to engine speed rather than road speed. the tick sounds much too fast to be a rock in the tires. and i only hear it on hard acceleration. of course it may also be there on normal acceleration too but perhaps its too soft to detect?

Is this the "lifter noise" I've been reading about in various threads?

Last edited:
Sounds more like an exhaust manifold leak. Since it's under warranty, have the dealer do the diagnosis and repair.

thank you all - im glad i could rule something out and have a direction to look at. I will have the dealer look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back