Heirarchy of oil filters, and where does ST place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. I once say a list that rated oil filters, but cannot find it now. Anyone have a link to it, and where do SuperTech filters place? Thanks!

Use with confidence in oci of 3-4k. I used to used them, but I came across a deal at Napa where they were selling ProSelect for .99 cents so I loaded up. I bought 10 which is well over a year worth of oil filters. Also, I won't be going back to the ST filter because the Napa(Wix) ProSelect filter is the same price of the ST filter. Atlease for my whip it is.

The two metrics I use aside from cost are filtration and construction.

Generally ST is a ChampLabs eCore. Filtration is OK...94% dual pass SAE J1858. Not outstanding but it works like most filters.

http://www.servicechamp.com/prod_res_docs/Ecore FAQ's Sheet.pdf

The construction is OK (definitely not a Wix) and should be fine for most applications where very long drain intervals (say 8-10K) are NOT involved. The only application I would avoid would be a big block V8 running 20W50, especially in colder temps.

I like the Wix made ProSelect for low cost. Here you get the Wix construction and likely similar filtration at a similar price.

Concerning Fram...

The baseline orange can has similar filtration to ST. The construction uses cardboard end caps which, is not dis-similar to the eCore design. I have no problem using them except better stuff at better price.

The TG line in Fram has outstanding filtration (99% dual pass) like the Purolator PureOne but still uses paper end caps. Discounting is rare and cost is high.

The XG line in Fram has that fuzzy synthetic blend media and metal endcaps. Like it's name, it is for extended OCI app's and has more holding capacity in media. The issues I have is the filtration drops back to the baseline orange can and the cost is high.

I don't rule out Fram like most "experts". They offer products...I make selection.

Not ALL ST filters are eCore design. The ST filter that I was using on my car still had the metal endcaps. But like I stated, I'm going to stick with ProSelect from now on.

You won't find an Ecore smaller then 3". That means all you Honda and whatnot filters won't be Ecores. They can only be produced on certain lines.

I like them, but don't find them as good a value as they once were. When they were $2.02 ..I couldn't resist buying one or two every visit to WM. Now I reach for an MC instead (if I'm buying short OCI filters).

When an SuperTech filter was $2, that was one thing. Now that they are nearing $3, that's a different story.

I'm yet another person who likes the NAPA ProSelect filters for shorter OCI's. Built by Wix, you can't beat the quality for the price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back