Heads Up! Big storm coming to Cali and SW

So, how's the weather in the SW right now?
Google beachcam hotel del for the cam at Hotel Del Coronado close to San Diego. They are live streaming. Sort of cloudy right now. The camera pans and stops every 20 seconds or so for a good view between west and north. Does Bitog have anyone on the ground in San Diego?

Last edited:
Not sure if this storm is influenced by rising ocean temps but if it is, mandatory reductions in cargo ship sulfur emissions are to blame.

Ironically, the sulfur oxides or whatever of aerosols these ships emit at massive levels (due to burning bunker oil fuel) deposited so many particulates into the atmosphere over the oceans, that it reflected enough sunlight to keep the ocean slightly cooler.

Those particulates are gone now, and the oceans have heated up. Weirdly, Atlantic hurricanes have not increased though.

No

I'm curious to see how this storm will impact the Colorado River and reservoirs. The reservoirs are going to get hit with a large amount of silt.

Must be bad. They are rescheduling baseball games.

18AFBB10-EED6-4BDF-9C1E-6697FB3D19C2.jpeg

Nothing burger is my take.

In the South Bay we have a 30% chance of a little rain this Tuesday, but that's about it. We'll see.
Good luck. So many times the weather folks get fooled at the last minute by changes. Happens to us all the time in the deep south. Its hard to imagine that can still happen even these days when we are supposed to have the most modern-sophisticated newest tracking systems. Which I am sure we do, yet mother nature still pulls tricks on us at times. Hope all you west coast folks get some needed h20 just not a years worth in 24 hrs or so.

I'm up in the Sou Cal mountains on the western side of Palm Springs. Predictions are for heavy rain and thunderstorms by this afternoon with rain continuing through Monday. The danger around here is flash flooding with mud and rock slides. Staying off of the State Highway is a good idea, I have seen boulders the size of a washing machine in the middle of the road and around a blind corner after heavy rains. Wind doesn't appear to be a big threat, that is good as I am surrounded by old growth trees.

I have been receiving emails and text messages from the power company regarding storm precautions and the likelihood of power outages. I have a propane fired generator so I'm not worried about that. I also have my cell phone set to receive emergency messages and it went off yesterday with one of those loud beeping alerts. That seemed a bit premature.

The desert regions are supposed to be getting hammered so I may get some of that as the storm moves to the north and east,
But it has to travel a long way from the Mexico border first so it may not be as bad as some predictions.

I'm curious to see how this storm will impact the Colorado River and reservoirs. The reservoirs are going to get hit with a large amount of silt.
Good question. Here is the expected flood zones and a map of the basin. There is some overlap but the storm would have to shift east to rain hard in the basin. There is not much rain predicted in the upper Colorado Basin.

BF7DB45C-7777-47DE-8905-91B57B6A2093.jpeg
F608C681-BA2A-4B0E-B075-347ADB619EBC.jpeg

Last edited:
We went to Costco this morning. Not in panic mode just our regular stock up day. Place is a mess! No room to move,shoulder to shoulder. They have generators and those are flying off the shelves.

Wonder how many will be returned next week?

Yep, dumb dumbs going into panic mode and returning shopping carts of stuff not needed.

We went to Costco this morning. Not in panic mode just our regular stock up day. Place is a mess! No room to move,shoulder to shoulder. They have generators and those are flying off the shelves.

Wonder how many will be returned next week?
You are almost in the epicenter. Costco has some nice generators and I have thought of buying one. We usually have lots of everything on hand, so we don't need to panic buy. We are planning on stopping at the Victorville Costco on the 29th. Hopefully, they will have things cleaned up by then.

Make sure your phones are charged up fully and also any other devices. Find out how to reduce the power drain on your phones as well.

No rain in OC. Muggy and 80's.
It's still early. It's terrible humid here right now. I spent about an hour moving things in my yard that could blow into my house,break a window etc. Wife has picnic tables, swinging porch chairs etc. I moved all that into my garage. Got 3 working generators that I test ran. Gonna go get fresh gas a little later.

Back