Headlight bulb change-2000 Grand Am? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone KNOW how to get the headlight fixture out to replace bulb in 2000 Grand Am? It's giving me fits!

Thank you.

How about reading the owners manual, should show you in there? It does in my 4 GM vehicles.

Some of the newer vehicles have two black pins in top of each capsule. Turn them so they snap out of the clip, then pull the L shaped pin up, remove the wire connector and take out the capsule .

Duh! Look at the owner's manual, what a novel idea. I have never had to look at the manual to replace a bulb - a sign of stubbornness/old age I suppose.

There is no access to the bulb simply reaching from behind. This car requires removing the plastic splash guard over the front area of the engine compartment to gain access to two "quick releases" (somewhat corroded/stuck). This allows the entire headlamp assembly to move forward and out to gain access to the halogen bulb.

Thanks Mike - sometimes it just takes a little nudge from someone else to regain ones "common sense".

cool.gif
My wife has a '99 Grand Am. Genuine PITA to put a bulb in. The splash guard has to come off and the plastic clips will all break. You will need pliers or Vise-Grips to lift up on the clips. The housing will fall right out. The retaining rings for the bulbs are right on back of the housing, easy to get off but you will break at least one and they cost $9 at the dealer because you can't find one trudging around in a muddy junkyard. The hard part is getting the housing back in since the inside clip grabs two plastic threaded thingys stacked vertically and getting the bottom one in the clip is REAL tough because you can't hardly see it but a flashlight will help. Only took me two afternoons to get it right. She had one burn out but I replaced both with Sylvania Silverstars, excellent bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back